Looking for a new twist on the old protein shake? I’ve got a delicious pumpkin shake recipe just in time for fall.
It’s that time of year for all things pumpkin flavored, from spiced lattes to pumpkin cakes and muffins. But believe it or not, there are some health benefits to this orange vegetable.
In the same family as squash and cucumber, pumpkins are high in antioxidants, vitamins, and other phytonutrients. Pumpkin is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin B complex, iron, and flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants like leutin and carotenes. The seeds are even high in protein and zinc, and all around pumpkin is very low in calories. It’s also high in dietary fiber to keep you full and satisfied.
And this shake comes in at right around 200 calories! Ready for something delicious and totally healthy? Here it is…
Low-Fat Pumpkin Pie Shake Recipe
Serves: 2 (half for single serving)
Combine the following ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups of unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup of organic pumpkin puree
- 1 frozen banana, peeled
- 1/2 of a Bartlett pear or 1/2 of a Gala apple
- 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin spice
- 1 scoop (2 tablespoons) of vanilla flavored Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion Whey Protein
- 1/2 cup of ice
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth. Top with a sprig of fresh mint or parsley.
It’s that easy, and trust me, this is a pretty healthy protein shake. Besides the nutritional content of the pumpkin purée, you also have the protein to keep you full, boost your metabolism, and help you burn off some extra calories and fat. In total, you’re only getting about 3 grams of fat and 30 grams of carbs in one shake! That’s not bad at all.
To make this completely vegan, try substituting the whey protein with vanilla flavored Vega Sport Performance Protein. It’s made exclusively from plant-based protein sources like hemp, peas, and rice.
Looking for some other healthy and satisfying fall recipes?
Check out my recent article on 5 Delicious Zucchini Bread Recipes. Zucchini has many of the same health benefits of pumpkin and is an easy and affordable ingredient to include in your recipes.
Looking for more great shake recipes?
Take a look at the following articles:
- Protein Shake Recipes – 5 tasty and healthy metabolism-boosting protein shakes to help you stay lean and fit. There’s something for everyone here.
- Healthy Shake Recipes for Weight Loss – Some satisfying and healthy shakes designed specifically to help you burn fat and speed up your weight loss results.
- Best Pre Workout Shake – My best shake recipe for helping you get the most out of your workout routine.
Have any questions or feedback about this Yummy Pumpkin Shake Recipe? Please leave a comment below…