Top 10 Workout Supplements for Men
Best Workout Supplements for Men
Updated January 10, 2016
You want to accelerate your beach body results and you’re having a hard time doing it so you ask “what are the best workout supplements for me to take?” Well my first answer to your question will feel like it’s going to give you some kind of internal resistance…
But here it is anyway, take it like a “MAN”! If you’re not eating healthy at least 5 days of the week then no supplement in the world is going to give you the results you want unless you are blessed with some kind of genetic predisposition. And those of you who are, long-term unhealthy eating will eventually bite you in the ass so get in the habit earlier rather than later.
With that said it doesn’t mean you have to eat dried up un-tasty foods. At the end of this article I will post a link to many healthy recipes to help you boost your workout results.
Ok enough of that! No matter how much I stress healthy diets, I know most of us want to try supplementation to our diets to boost our workout efforts. Stop feeling guilty about that, it’s totally natural and anyone who says that you should stay away from all supplements, well they probably haven’t done much research or are just too jaded to see how they can help.
I’ve done a ton of research in this area for the past decade and I think this list will really help you get a pretty comprehensive overview of the top 10 workout supplements for men and I’ll include the links for the lowest prices on these.
Top 10 Workout Supplements for Men
1. Whey Protein Powder: Without a doubt whey protein powder is the most clean, natural and effective supplement when it comes to muscle building and fat loss. It helps provide all the essential amino acids to our muscles and I have directly spoken to some highly renowned researchers in this area and they have confirmed the validity of these claims. One doctor had even mentioned that hospitals have been giving it to their patients after surgery to help speed up recovery. The top selling whey protein powder in the industry is Optimum’s line of proteins which I have in my kitchen, but I have to say that Gaspari Nutrition has also always impressed me with the quality and taste of their proteins. I recently got a 5lb container of their Myofusion Chocolate Milk and mixing it with some natural peanut butter and half a banana makes it one of the best protein shakes I’ve ever tasted. Here are the links for the best prices on these guys – Platinum Hydrobuilder & Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion.
2. Multi Vitamins for Men: If you have a healthy diet full of lean meats, veggies, fruits and beans then chances are you are getting all your vitamins. But the thing is that if you’re working out then your body most likely needs more vitamins to help recover after strenuous workouts. I think it’s a safe bet to make sure you get all the required vitamins by taking a daily supplement.One of the most revered men’s daily vitamins is the Universal Animal Pak. It is extra comprehensive and even covers some BCAA’s, and antioxidants for quite an affordable price. Here is the link – Universal Animal Pak.
3. Creatine:Creatine is another natural supplement that is hands down one of the most effective to enhance your muscle building results. There has been more research on this one supplement probably more than any other I have seen and even Olympic level athletes are taking it. It’s naturally found in meat, but having enough to help us in our workouts is pretty challenging unless you are eating tons of meat, so the supplement really makes sense. The way creatine works is pretty simple, it just helps our bodies store and use more energy especially in intense situations, in other words helps you get in one or two last repetitions. The top selling and award-winning creatine complex is ProMera Health Con-Cret as it contains an impressive blend to help with uptake. Here is the link –ProMera Health Con-Cret.
4. Pre-workout energy drink– If motivation is even slightly a problem for you then a pre-workout energy drink is a pretty great solution to giving you the boost you need. They usually contain caffeine, NO2 (nitric oxide), and a number of metabolism charging compounds to give you an energy rush. The one that I recommend the most is a new guy in town which takes your pre-workout nutrition way way up into the next stratosphere – ENGN PreWorkout. The watermelon flavour is so freaking good too! Try this especially if you are going to play a sport and watch your coordination and agility improve tremendously. Here is the link – ENGN PreWorkout. Many guys also like BSN’s NO-Xplode which gives a crazy vascular pump (meaning your muscles will get engorged with blood and look twice their size)! Here is the link – BSN N.O.-Xplode, but a little warning on this as it is intense. A little secret – try mixing half a scoop of each together!!!
5. Omega 3’s– You’ve probably heard of these a lot lately, Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid (EFA) that we need to include in our diet because our bodies can not create them by itself. Recent research has proven that Omega 3’s are great for cardiovascular health and cognitive function but also help your body in rebuilding cells as well as joint flexibility (which also helps muscles grow faster). It’s pretty much a no brainer to include Omega 3 supplementation, and one of the best supplements for this is known as Allmax Nutrition Omega 3 which contains the purest sources of Omeag 3 essential fatty acids. Alternatively you can also get pure high quality fish oil from the top brand NOW. Here are the links – Allmax Nutrition Omega 3 & NOW Ultra Omega-3.
6. Thermogenic Fat Burner – This isn’t an essential one but many guys are looking for metabolism boosting thermogenic fat burners which have the least side effects.
One of the latest and hottest in the market which is getting a ton of positive feedback is Shred Matrix. It attacks your fat cells from many different angles and the blend is pretty impressive. Here is the link – Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix.
7. BCAA’s and Glutamine– BCAA’s also known as branch chained amino acids include 3 of the 8 essential amino acids our body need to make muscle: leucine, isoleucine and valine. Whenever we workout our body breaks down some of our muscle to create these amino acids for fuel, so supplying BCAA’s can help spare our muscles from being broken down. Because of this they are very popular supplementation for strength training athletes and are even given to patients recovering from cancer because of their positive effects. Glutamine is another amino acid that has a primary role of protein synthesis and as a cellular energy resource. Combined with BCAA’s, creates a highly effective post-workout supplement.One of the leaders in the industry for BCAA & Glutamine is BPI Sports, and is highly popular in the weight training arena because of their intense training. Here is the link – BPI Sports Best BCAA.
8. Natural Sleep Supplement – You should know by now from reading many of the articles on this site how important sleep is to your muscle muscle building efforts. This is the time when our muscles repair, recover and grow and if you’re not getting a rich deep sleep you are robbing yourself of the best results possible. A new supplement which is getting a lot of attention for increasing quality of sleep is Arnold Schwarzenneg’s Iron Dream. It includes a killer blend of proven sleep improvement ingredients like GABA, Horny Goat Weed and Glutamine. Here is the link – Arnold’s Iron Dream.
9. Casein Protein– what’s so special about Casein protein compared to whey protein? Simple, our body takes longer to digest it so it supplies the protein almost like a natural time-release. This is great because it prevents drops in our amino acids and keeps a steady state of amino acids provided to our muscles. The best time to take this is a about an hour or two before bed so our body can digest it gradually while we sleep.You may have heard of it’s great taste, and easily the top Casein protein supplement in the industry is Optimum’s 100% Casein. Another great feature is that it is low in calories so you can take this even if your goal is strictly fat loss. Here is the link – Optimum 100% Casein.
10. Joint Support– Along side Omega 3’s, Glucosamine is a supplement which used to support flexibility and mobility of our joints. Research has already shown that the more flexible we are the greater range of motion our joints and muscles have which means better results when strength training. Furthermore, if you have knee, shoulder or back pain you may want to experiment supplementing with this natural product (generally found in shells of shellfish and animal bone marrow).A pretty cool joint support supplement which includes Glucoasmine, Chondroitin and Flaxseed Oil is Universal Animal’s Animal Flex. Here is the link – Universal Animal Animal Flex. Alternatively you can get Glucosamine Chondroitin by itself, here is the link – NOW Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM.
Conclusion: Top 10 Workout Supplements for Men
Wow, quite a comprehensive list, it took me a good amount of time to research and compile this list so I hope you guys benefit greatly from this information and recommendations. One thing I wanted to make sure this list was including was safe and tested supplements as much as possible. In the end, you know your body best and testing out different supplements is a good idea to see what works best for you, but at least now you have a great resource to refer to (hopefully you bookmark this page and also share it with your friends on Facebook!). Also, check out my breakfast, lunch and dinner ideas in my Healthy Diets for Men series to take your workout and supplement results to the next level.
Any feedback, or questions about this list please leave a comment below and I’ll do my best to provide answers from my experience and research…