How to Gain Muscle Fast
If your main goal is to pack on muscle, you’ve probably already learned that doing it fast can be a bit of a challenge.
Plateaus are just as common with weight gain as they are with weight loss. Like everything, your body gets used to the same old thing. But you probably already know to change things up frequently in order to keep making gains.
In addition to keeping things fresh, there’s a lot more you should (and should not) be doing to gain muscle fast, especially when it comes to diet and nutrition. In fact, nutrition is just as important as working out, because your muscles require the right balance of nutrients to keep growing. Let’s look at 10 nutrition tips to get you back on track with your muscle-building goals.
How to Gain Muscle Fast – 10 Nutrition Tips
1. Have a Meal Every 3 Hours – Eating frequently means that your body (and your muscles) will receive a constant flow of protein, carbohydrates, and essential fatty acids to maintain an anabolic (i.e., muscle-building) state.
2. Get Lots of Protein – No meal should go without a good serving of protein. It’s recommended that you consume 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight every day in order to maximize muscle-building. Your main protein source should be lean animal sources and dairy, and you should keep it varied. Adding a protein supplement like Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion or Optimum 100% Natural Casein is a great way to make sure you reach your daily goals.
3. Hydrate – Water is actually a really good thing when it comes to gaining muscle. The more water in your muscles, the better they’ll function and the greater their strength and size capacity. You should be consuming about a gallon of water every day, and about 8 ounces every 15-20 minutes during your workout.
4. Do Carbs the Right Way – It’s all about balance when it comes to carbohydrates. Too few will shortchange your gains in mass (because carbs are needed for energy and protein absorption) and too many will bulk you up. You should consume 2-3 grams of carbs per pound of body weight each day to gain mass.
5. Eat Red Meat – Believe it or not, red meat can be a healthy option when it comes to packing on the muscle. Just go for lean cuts of meats and avoid processed and fatty options. Red meat is a power house of the highest quality amino acids you get including glutamine for recovery and even creatine for helping you with your energy levels.
6. Eat Fish – If red meat isn’t your thing, fish is a great option. It’s packed full of protein and healthy fatty acids like omega-3s which actually help you lean out and gain muscle. Fish also has a great amino acid profile, so your muscles will get the fuel they need.
7. Eat Pre- and Post-Workout Meals – Within an hour before and after your workout is a crucial period for muscle growth, so you need to give your body the building blocks and fuel it needs. Whey protein is the best option as it’s absorbed quickly. Check out Optimum 100% Natural Whey – a leader in the market.
8. Have a Cheat Day – Cheat days not only help you stay motivated, but the sudden intake of foods can jumpstart your metabolism and release growth hormones and other growth agents that will give your muscle building efforts a big boost.
9. Take the Key Supplements – There are a few basics out there that are sure to get your gaining muscle fast. Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are the most effective on the market. Check out Scivation Xtend, one of the best options out there. I recommend taking this in combination with a Glutamine supplement – try Optimum Glutamine.
10. Eat Late – That’s right, eating late can actually help sustain your muscle gains while you sleep. Make sure your late night snack is packed with protein!
Have any questions or feedback about fast muscle gain? Please leave a comment below…