Weekend Challenge: Total Body Workout
This weekend, I’m challenging you to hit the gym and hit it in a totally new way.
One of the biggest factors in seeing results and avoiding plateaus is variety. In order to continuously make gains in muscle size, strength, and even fat loss, you need to change it up on a regular basis.
In my article, What is Muscle Confusion, I outline a number of ways you can make simple changes to your exercise routine that will improve your overall results. From number of reps to exercise order, any change will effectively boost results.
But one of the best strategies is to simply include new exercises in your workout. Doing the same routine day in and day out won’t get you too far in the long run, especially if you’re looking for serious results.
So rather than skipping the gym this weekend, I’m challenging you to a total body jumpstarting workout. In just two 30 minute workouts, you’re going to try some pretty cool (and probably new) weight training exercises that will get you back in the game.
Jumpstart Your Workout Routine with this Weekend Challenge!
My weekend challenge workout consists of two 30-minute routines, with one dedicated to your lower body and core, and the other focused on your upper body. You can do these workouts back-to-back in the same day, or you can hit the gym twice this weekend.
For all weight training exercises, I want you to do 10-12 reps per set. If you still consider yourself at the beginner or intermediate level, most of these exercises should be new to you.
Rest for about 30 seconds between sets.
Weekend Challenge Day 1 – Lower Body & Core
- 2 sets Bosu Ball Squats (view exercise)
- 2 sets One-Legged Hip Lift (view exercise)
- 2 sets Lateral Lunge (view exercise)
- 2 sets Back Extension with Twist (view exercise)
- 2 sets One-Legged Ab Crunch on Bosu Ball (view exercise)
- 2 sets Cross-Body Ab Twist with Pulley (each side) (view exercise)
- 1 set Woodchopper (view exercise)
Weekend Challenge Day 2 – Upper Body & Arms
- 2 sets Standing Lat Pulldown (view exercise)
- 2 sets Lateral Raise Dumbbell Kick (view exercise)
- 2 sets Single Arm Chest Press with Pulley (each side) (view exercise)
- 2 sets Reverse Bench Bicep Curl (view exercise)
- 2 sets Reverse Incline Shoulder Press (view exercise)
- 2 sets Decline Pushup with Feet on Stability Ball (view exercise)
- 1 set Overhead Tricep Rope Extension (view exercise)
By doing these two workout routines, this weekend challenge is an opportunity to try a bunch of new stuff. Forget what you don’t like, but incorporate as many of these new exercises into your workout program. They may be just what you need to jumpstart your fitness routine and see some serious results.
This weekend may also be a good time to try a new supplement. Workout supplements are another great way to kick your routine into gear and start seeing results. Most supplements can be divided into pre-workout and post-workout categories. Both phases are key, and both types of supplements can be helpful. To help give you an idea of your options, I’ve outlined my top picks for supplements:
Have any questions or feedback about this weekend workout challenge? Please leave a comment below…