Butt Workouts for Women
One of the most common goals I see among my female clients is getting a tighter and firmer butt. After all, your glutes (butt muscles) are an important part of your overall physique.
But I’ve noticed that it’s one of the muscle groups that people struggle with the most. As a personal trainer, I get a lot of questions about frequency, type, and intensity of exercising your butt muscles.
So I’m going to offer up all the details you need, in addition to outlining some great butt workouts and exercises for getting firmer and tighter glutes. These workouts are designed with women in mind, but they can definitely be adapted by men who are looking to firm things up!
Your Gluteal Muscles
Your buttocks is made up of 3 major muscles, called your gluteal muscles or glutes for short. They include the gluteus maximus (the biggest muscle of the three), the gluteus medius, and the gluteus minimus.
Butt Exercises and Workouts
Some of the most common exercises people engage in to exercise and train their gluteal muscles include lunges, squats, deadlifts, and leg presses. Aerobic exercises like cycling, climbing stairs, rowing, and even running will also get them into shape. (Of these, stair-climbing is probably my favorite.)
Butt Workouts for Women
I’m going to offer up 5 butt workouts for women that are designed to firm up your glutes in just a few weeks! These exercises are great because they can be done at home or at the gym.
For each exercise, I recommend 3-4 sets at 15-20 reps each.
1. Single Leg Bridge – Grab a chair or a weight bench for this one. Lie with your back against the floor and both legs extended straight in front of you, resting your heels on the chair or bench. Extend one leg straight into the air over your hip. Engage your hip, core, and butt muscles, and lift your hips off the floor, putting all your wait onto your shoulders. Hold there, then lower slowly. That’s one rep. Make sure you do a full set with each leg up.
2. Tree Extension – Stand on your tiptoes facing a stretching bar or chair back. With your feet together, grip the bar or chair back and bend slightly forward at your waist. Keeping your back straight, lift your left knee to hip level and extend your right heel off the floor. Hold here, and repeat on opposite side.
3. Kick Back – This one’s pretty simple, but it will really kick your butt muscles into gear. Start in a standing position with your heels together. Hold your hands at your hips, and slowly bend your upper body forward (head up, back straight) while slowly lifting one of your legs off the ground behind you. Keep both legs straight without locking your knees. Hold in the kick position, and repeat on opposite side.
4. Step-Up Lunge – This minor twist on a classic exercise offers the ideal butt workout. Start in a standing position a couple feet in front of a weight bench or chair (back facing the bench, feet at should width). Lift one of your legs behind you and rest it on the bench, allowing your knee to bend naturally. Your other leg should be bent at a 90 degree angle and your back held straight. From this position, engage in a deep lunge without moving your knee past your toes. Do a full set on each side.
5. Sky Squat – This one’s easy, but it’s effective. Start in a standing position with feet at shoulder width. As you lower your body into a squat (back held straight), slowly lift your arms straight up in front of you. Hold here, and lower your arms as you lift out of the squat.
Butt Workouts for Women – The Follow Up
Make sure you follow up a good butt workout with a high quality protein supplement like Optimum 100% Casein Protein. It’s a timed-release protein, so it will keep your muscles fueled for a few hours.
If you’re lactose intolerant, or if you’ve adopted a vegan lifestyle, there are some other great options on the market. My top pick is Vega Sport Performance Protein, which is specifically designed to support an active lifestyle.
Have any questions or feedback about Butt Workouts for Women? Please leave a comment below…