Tricks to Sleep Better
The role of sleep in your overall health and fitness cannot be overstated. Sleep determines a number of really important factors during your day, including:
- Energy – Without a good night’s sleep, you won’t have the same energy and motivation to meet your daily tasks and goals.
- Hunger – Sleep helps to regulate a number of hormones related to feelings of hunger, including cravings and appetite control.
- Metabolism – Sleep, or lack thereof, can also throw off your metabolism and inhibit your ability to burn fat and calories.
- Immune Functioning – Poor sleep can compromise your immune system, putting you at risk for viruses and illnesses.
- Muscle Building – Without adequate sleep, your muscles won’t have the same opportunity to recover and repair after a hard workout.
So how can you improve your sleep and prepare yourself adequately for the next day? Let’s look at 10 simple tricks to sleep better!
10 Tricks to Sleep Better
1. Schedule a Bedtime – Setting a morning alarm is one thing, but setting a time to hit the sack is probably more important when it comes to getting a good night’s sleep. Getting your body into a routine is half the battle.
2. Turn the Lights Off – Light plays a huge role in sleep, especially in terms of your brain’s ability to prepare you for sleep. Experts recommend taking the TV out of the bedroom, and dimming lights from electronics as much as possible. You need your body to know that it’s night time!
3. Drown the Sounds – Background noise, whether indoor or outdoor, is another big reason that people can’t sleep. Something as simple as turning on a fan can help drown things out and help you get some shut-eye.
4. Cool Off – Raising your internal body temperature just before bed is a big roadblock to sleep. The cooler you are, the better you’ll sleep – so avoid showers and intense workouts just before bed!
5. Avoid Heavy Eating – Eating before bed is fine, but you don’t want to eat too much. If you rev up your metabolism too much before bed, you’re going to find sleeping difficult. Stick to light and easily digestible meals, like fruits and whole grains.
6. Watch the Water – Drinking water (or worse, tea) before bed will only keep you going to the bathroom. Keep your water intake light in the hour or two before hitting the sheets.
7. Eat Foods that Help You Sleep – Believe it or not, many foods can help you sleep better naturally. For a complete list of ideas, check out my article on Foods that Help You Sleep.
8. Calm Your Mind – An overactive mind is another big reason that people don’t sleep well. Before shutting off the lights, try to take 10 minutes or so to calm your mind. Simple focused breathing can do the trick!
9. Make a List – Another great way to clear your mind of worries before bed is to make a to-do list for the next day. It will help you alleviate a lot of your anxiety and sleep better!
10. Try a Natural Sleep Aid – If you take the natural approach, melatonin is your best bet for an all-natural sleep aid. Many people swear by it! For one of the best products you can find, I recommend trying Natrol Melatonin.
Have any questions or feedback about these Tricks to Sleep Better? Please leave a comment below…