The Paleo Diet
The paleo diet has received a lot of attention lately in the media. But what’s this diet all about? And how can it be of benefit to you?
The paleo diet, short for paleolithic diet, is essentially a return to our caveman roots. It’s a diet that focuses on natural, whole foods like those eaten by our ancestors. Things like wild fish, game meat, nuts, fruits, and leafy greens are all options on the paleo diet.
So what’s so great about the paleo diet?
For starters, the paleo diet doesn’t have any room for processed, packaged, or preserved foods, which means that it’s low in sodium, sugar, and fat. It also doesn’t include any fried or junk food. All of these factors are great for losing weight and contributing to a healthy lifestyle.
Here are some more great benefits of the paleo diet:
- The increased protein intake helps curb cravings and keep your metabolism in high gear. This is also a great diet for supporting lean muscle mass, so if you weight train, you’ll get all the nutritional support you need.
- The greater focus on fruits and vegetables means more vitamin support overall. You’ll get more antioxidants and important minerals in your diet.
- Given the focus on foods like nuts and fish, you’ll increase your intake of essential fatty acids which support weight loss.
- Carbohydrate cravings are diminished over time because of the low carbohydrate intake. Low carbs also means a more toned look overall!
- You don’t need to count calories or measure potion sizes on this diet. Frequent meals will leave you feeling more satisfied throughout the day.
Overall, the paleo diet will significantly lower your intake of preservatives and other chemicals that are hard on your body. If you can, you should also be aiming for organic options whenever possible. This further mimics a caveman diet and will lower your intake of potentially harmful pesticides and herbicides.
What can I eat on the paleo diet?
You really have a lot of options on this diet. It’s great for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike, and is probably one of the easiest diets to incorporate into your lifestyle, meaning you’ll be more likely to see the results you’re looking for.
Here are some of the tasty options on a paleo diet:
- Eggs – anyway you like them!
- Nuts – a great option for snacking throughout the day.
- Wild Fish – one of the best proteins for weight loss.
- Fresh Fruit – another tasty snacking option!
- Leafy Greens – spinach, kale, and arugula are all great choices.
- Root Vegetables – carrots, beets, and sweet potatoes are great carb options.
- Mushrooms – these are packed with satisfying taste and a high nutritional value.
- Meats – try to go with free range organic whenever possible.
- Fresh Herbs – make sure you include lots of fresh herbs and spices!
- Fats – avocado, nut oils, and coconut are all healthy sources of fat.
As you can see, the paleo diet is free of grains, so your carbohydrates are coming strictly from vegetables and nuts. If you must include some bread once in a while, make sure you go with an organic, 100% whole grain option. Ideally, flour-free bread made of sprouted grains would be the best option on this diet.
The Paleo Diet – Conclusion
Those are the basics of the paleo diet. Sound good? Trust me, this is one of the most natural and nutritious diet choices. I’m not a big fan of fad diets that restrict your lifestyle and make you miserable. The paleo diet is a fantastic option if you’re trying to lose weight, get fit, or just live a healthier life.
Have any questions or feedback about the Paleo Diet? Please leave a comment below…