If you’ve heard anything about the show Spatacus then you already probably know how ripped the actors are in the show.
This article reviews an intense new workout plan focused on getting in gladiator shape. The Spartacus workout, named after the famous Ancient Roman slave and military leader, is going to kick you your butt.
Getting ripped and toned isn’t always easy, and it really takes a complete lifestyle shift to maintain for the long-term. The Spartacus workout and diet plan is focused on attaining a gladiator level of fitness, keeping in mind the way of life in Ancient Rome.
The TV show, Spartacus: Blood and Sand and Spartacus: Vengeance, used extensive training routines to get their actors are in some serious gladiator shape, with tons of lean muscle mass and a low percentage of body fat.
This physique really mirrors the “ideal” male body in many ways – huge biceps and pecs, washboard abs, and strong legs that can squat 180lbs easily. So I’ve developed a workout plan to get you these same results – without the bloodshed!
The Spartacus Workout
This workout should be continued for about 6-8 weeks, before you start changing things up. You’re going to need to hit the gym 5-6 days a week to see serious results. The workouts incorporate a lot of total body exercises and interval training to really get you fit. I’m also including primarily dumbbell and barbell lifts to reflect more natural body movements. Here’s the plan…
Start each workout with 10 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio to warm up your muscles.
For each exercise, aim for 4 sets of 8-12 reps or lift to muscle failure.
Monday – Legs & Shoulders
- Barbell Deadlifts (view exercise)
- Lunge & Shoulder Press Combo (view exercise)
- Squat & Shoulder Press Combo (view exercise)
- Standing Calf Raises (view exercise)
- Lateral Shoulder Raises (view exercise)
Tuesday – Chest & Triceps
- Dumbbell Chest Press – Flat (view exercise)
- Dumbbell Chest Press – Incline (view exercise)
- Lying Tricep Press (Skull Cruchers) (view exercise)
- Dumbbell Flye – Flat (view exercise)
- Seated Tricep Press (view exercise)
Wednesday – High Intensity Interval Training
- 30-45 Minutes of HIIT training.
- See my article on HIIT here.
Thursday – Back & Biceps
- Dumbbell Rows (view exercise)
- Pull-Ups (view exercise)
- Upright Barbell Row (view exercise)
- Standing Dumbbell Curls (view exercise)
- Back Extensions (view exercise)
Friday – Legs & Abs
- Lunge Ab Twist (view exercise)
- Single Leg Deadlifts (view exercise)
- Squat & Kick (view exercise)
- Lateral Lunge (view exercise)
- Oblique Dumbbell Lifts (view exercise)
Saturday (Optional) – High Intensity Interval Training
- Another 30 minutes of HIIT to round out the week.
The Spartacus Diet
To really see the effects of the Spartacus workout, it’s crucial that you have a clean diet low in bad fats and carbs. I recently reviewed the Paleo Diet, which I think would complement the Spartacus workout nicely. Read more about The Paleo Diet here.
In addition to eating whole foods and cutting down on fats and carbs, I also recommend a few supplements that will get you into gladiator shape in half the time. Check these out:
- MHP Probolic-SR Muscle Feeder – A time-released protein supplement to support muscle growth.
- Muscle Pharm Assault – A pre-workout supplement to help you get the most out of your Spartacus workout.
- Scivation Xtend – A branched chain amino acid supplement to aid in muscle recovery and development of lean muscle mass.
Have any questions or feedback about the Spartacus Workout? Please leave a comment below…
How much rest should I do between sets for weight loss/toning? 1min?
Would you do all the four reps of one move each time, or after my first rep, goto the second move and them come back to the first four times.
It’s 4 sets of 8-12 reps, so you do one set of 8 reps then repeat 3 more times in a row. Hope that helps!
Hi Tyler, best to start from the Matthew McConaughey workout and lead up to here and guaranteed that you will get some good results.
how many months or weeks we should do the Matthew McConaughey workout before doing the spartacus work out
Try 6 weeks!