Healthy Summer Grocery Shopping List
Summer is here, and that means it’s barbeque season and time to get outdoors.
One of my favorite things about summer is enjoying good food. But there are a lot of choices, and it can be easy to slip up and let your healthy eating habits slide.
With a little commitment, you can continue eating healthy all summer long. There are a few simple rules to start with. Keep alcohol to a minimum, and don’t go too heavy on the sugary blended drinks. Make sure you stick to your workout routine, and when it comes to parties, try to fill up on veggies and salad as much as possible.
You also need to make some smart decisions at the grocery store. And I’m here to help. Here are 10 summer items you need to add to your summer grocery shopping list, to stay healthy and fit all summer long.
10 Healthy Summer Foods
1. Pistachios – If you’re looking for a light but nutritious summery snack, pistachios are a great pick. They’re lower in fat than other nuts, and the healthy monounsaturated fat they do contain will actually help you lose weight and have also been found to help boost your HDL levels.
2. Watermelon – This one’s a summer favorite for most, and luckily, it’s pretty healthy. High in vitamin C and lycopene, watermelon is also almost entirely water, so it’s a great way to stay hydrated and satisfied.
3. Cherries – A great sweet snack for the summer, cherries have been shown to improve fat loss and help you get a better night’s sleep.
4. Blueberries – High in antioxidants and a big metabolism booster, blueberries are another great summer snack. Eat them on their own, or add them to a salad of leafy greens.
5. Quinoa – When it comes to carbs this summer, I want you to try something new. Quinoa is one of the best carbs you can add to your plate. It makes a great replacement for rice and is high in protein and fiber. Check out my Top 5 Healthy Quinoa Recipes here.
6. Spinach – Spinach is incredibly healthy, and is the perfect go-to starter for any summer salad. It’s high in calcium and fiber to support any active and healthy lifestyle.
7. Raspberries – Much like blueberries, raspberries are also high in antioxidants and make for a delicious summer snack. But they have the added bonus of improving your fat loss, with one important ingredient – raspberry ketones. For more information on the benefits, read my Raspberry Ketone Diet here.
8. Tomatoes – Believe it or not, tomatoes actually offer extra protection from the sun’s UV rays. Although you still need sunscreen, it’s an added bonus to the dense nutritional value of tomatoes. And the best part? They’re in season!
9. Iced Tea – Tea is high in antioxidants, and there’s a lot of research demonstrating a variety health benefits from drinking it on a regular basis. Go with iced tea this summer, and add some fresh squeezed lemon for an added fat-burning boost.
10. Fruit Smoothies – When done right, smoothies can be one of the healthiest snacks or meal replacements on the table. They’re perfect for the summer, and can be a great addition for a backyard together. Check out my 7 Lip Smacking Smoothie Recipes here.
Have any questions or feedback about my healthy summer grocery shopping list? Please leave a comment below…