Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss
Snacking might just be the biggest challenge in the battle with weight loss.
How can you stay satisfied and lose weight at the same time?
The truth is, you don’t need to cut out snacking altogether. In fact, snacking is actually a good thing when you’re trying to lose weight.
Snacking helps keep your metabolism up and your blood sugar levels constant, meaning you’ll have fewer cravings and be less likely to binge.
So what’s the trick?
The trick is choosing the right snack. There are healthy snacks for weight loss, and there are not-so-healthy snacks. Here are 7 suggestions to help you stay on track with your weight loss goals…
7 Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss
1. Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss – Non-Fat Yogurt – Yogurt is a great healthy snack, packed full of protein and calcium. Its creamy texture might even satisfy your cravings for dessert. I’d recommend going for plain yogurt to reduce the sugar, and adding a bit of granola and fresh fruit as a topping.
But my highest recommendation today is checking out Greek yogurt – it’s really high in protein, and the non-fat version is much creamier than traditional yogurt. Bonus points if you go with an organic variety which will help support your weight loss efforts.
2. Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss – Nuts – Nuts are one of the healthiest snacks you can find. Don’t be thrown off by their fat content – this is healthy fat, and your body does need some healthy fats. Go for almonds, one of the lower fat nuts. Almonds are packed full of protein and vital nutrients, and can actually help increase testosterone levels naturally.
3. Organic Dark Chocolate – Did you know you can have as much chocolate as you want? Haha, well there is a catch! You have to chose dark chocolate, and preferably over 80% cocoa. It’s almost impossible to indulge more than 1/2 or 3/4 of a bar with dark chocolate because of its richness in flavour. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and is great for fighting those sweet-tooth cravings. The less processed chocolate is, the more antioxidants, so go for organic dark.
4. Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss – Fruit Smoothie – Fruit smoothies can be great healthy snacks if you do them right (and if you do them yourself – avoid smoothies from vendors as they’re packed full of sugar, fat or other ingredients which will only sabotage your fat loss efforts).
Use fresh or frozen berries, some non-fat vanilla yogurt, a bit of fruit juice or milk, and a scoop of Optimum 100% Natural Whey. This is also a great meal replacement when you’re super rushed and on the go (i.e. don’t ever skip a meal!).
5. Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss – Healthy Cereal Bar – A little while ago, I posted a recipe for a health cereal bar that’s packed with whole grains, fibre, and protein. Check it out here. It’s a great option for healthy snacking on the go.
6. Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss- Hummus with Baby Carrots – This is a great healthy snack for home or the workplace. Hummus is very low in fat and has a decent amount of protein plus a great amount of fiber. With the baby carrots, you can get in a full serving of vegetables as well.
7. Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss- Protein / Energy Bar – This one’s a bit tricky. You really have to watch your labels here. Look for protein bars with no more than 8-10 grams of fat, and try to go for higher protein and fibre. In the right combination, protein bars can be great snacks for weight loss. I’d recommend checking out Myoplex Lite Bars.
There you have it, 7 easy and inexpensive snacking options for weight loss. Remember, snacking is a good thing! Just make sure it’s healthy.
Have any questions or feedback about Healthy Snacks for Weight Loss? Please leave a comment below…