Health Tip of the Day
Today’s health tip is all about your metabolism. If you’re finding yourself in yet another weight loss plateau, listen up! This tip will get you seeing real results fast.
When you’re trying to burn fat and lose weight, your metabolism needs to be your number one concern at all times. Your body really is like a machine, and the more you understand how it works, the better your results.
Generally speaking, your metabolism can be divided up into two parts: your resting metabolic rate and your metabolic potential. Both are important to weight loss, but there’s a big difference.
Your resting metabolism is your body’s ability to burn fat and calories when you’re at rest, or literally when you’re not doing anything that requires much energy. Resting metabolism is important because you can do things to enhance it over the long term, like increasing your lean muscle mass.
Your metabolic potential, on the other hand, is how much your metabolism can be sped up or increased by engaging in exercise or eating certain foods. It’s essentially how much you can get your engine revved up. This is what’s affected by cardiovascular exercise, and engaging in exercise can leave your metabolism enhanced for hours afterwards, meaning you’ll burn more calories throughout your day. Eating certain foods can also have a big impact on your metabolic potential.
Today’s health tip is focused on enhancing your metabolic potential. Trust me, if you want to be successful in burning fat and losing weight, this is the way to do it.
Health Tip of the Day: Adopt a Metabolism-Boosting Diet
Diet is a major factor in how your metabolism fluctuates throughout the day. Food is like fuel for your engine, which is why it’s so important to avoid diets that overly restrict your calorie intake. Instead, try to eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism in high gear.
And the foods you choose can make a big difference. Depending on their nutritional content and composition, some foods burn more calories and fat during digestion. Here are some great metabolism-boosting foods to get you started:
- Protein – Protein is my number one pick when it comes to enhancing metabolism. Protein-rich foods take longer to digest and use up more energy in the process. Starting your day with a protein shake can be a great way to burn more fat. Check out my tasty Protein Shake Recipes here.
- Whole Grains – Whole grains also give your metabolism a major boost. With a higher protein content as well as more fiber, vitamins, and minerals, they’re an obvious pick over bleached and processed carbs.
- Green Tea – Green tea is a natural thermogenic, meaning it boosts your metabolism and increases body’s ability to shed the fat. It’s also a natural appetite suppressant, so you can’t go wrong. Check out my article on Green Tea Weight Loss for more information on this super food.
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil, like this Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil, contains a unique kind of fat that actually helps your body burn more calories.
- Nuts – Don’t be fooled by their nutrition labels. Although nuts are high in fat, most contain healthy fats that enhance your metabolism. Almonds and pistachios are some of your best choices.
- Acai Berries – All fruits and vegetables tend to give your metabolism a boost, but some are better than others. Acai berries are particularly powerful metabolism enhancers, and can easily be added to your morning shake or afternoon salad. Find out more about the Benefits of Acai Berry here.
These are just a few of the foods that will boost your metabolism and get you seeing real results fast. Trust me, changing your diet in this direction is the best way to achieve your weight loss goals!
Have any questions or feedback about my Health Tip of the Day? Please leave a comment below…