Great Ab Workouts
Summer is fast approaching, and if you’re trying to get in shape, you’re probably thinking a lot about your abs.
Let’s face it, your abdominal and core muscles can be one of the most challenging muscle groups to get into shape. They take a lot of commitment and hard work, and usually a good combination of total body resistance training and cardiovascular exercise.
I generally recommend exercising your abs and core about twice a week. This will ensure adequate recovery time and sufficient frequency to develop and tone these smaller muscles. For the most effective approach, you should also aim for a good variety of exercises that target your abdominals, obliques, and lower back.
Before we get to the exercises and workouts, I need to highlight an important point. In addition to working out your abs, it’s also necessary to work out your entire body. When it comes to weight loss, you can’t spot-train, which means total body weight training and cardio are absolutely necessary for revealing that washboard stomach.
And of course, like most things in fitness, a strict, low-fat diet is key to having great abs. To take things one step further, I recommend cutting down on carbohydrates and increasing your protein intake. An easy way to do this is to invest in a high-quality whey protein like Optimum 100% Casein Protein. You’ll support lean muscle growth and burn more fat in the process!
Great Ab Workouts – The Exercises
First, I’m going to review what I consider the top 10 ab exercises to get your abs looking toned and ripped. If you’re just starting out and looking for some great ab workouts, start with these exercises. They can be combined into a number of different workouts according to your own goals and needs.
When it comes to working out your abs, I generally recommend 2-3 sets of anywhere from 15-25 reps. Abdominal and core muscles should always be worked to failure, so 25 is often a more realistic goal for number of reps.
Here are my top 10 picks for ab and core exercises:
- Ab Crunch on Stability Ball (view exercise)
- Ab Crunch with Legs Raised (view exercise)
- Ab Twists with Plate (view exercise)
- Lunge with Ab Twist (view exercise)
- Ab Crunch with Toe Touch (view exercise)
- Ab Rollout on Stability Ball (view exercise)
- Bicycle Crunches on Bosu (view exercise)
- Side Plank Crunch (view exercise)
- Oblique Crunches on Stability Ball (view exercise)
- Oblique Side Bends (view exercise)
Now let’s take a look at some great ab workout programs…
Great Ab Workouts – The Programs
Over the years, I’ve developed a number of workout programs geared towards developing and refining your abs.
- 15 Minute Ab Workout – This one is great when you’re short on time.
- Total Ab Workout in 30 Minutes – My 30 minute ab workout will bring you that much closer to having a ripped and toned six pack.
- The Ultimate Ab Workout Plan – This ultimate ab workout will get you working your abs and burning a ton of fat and calories. If you’re looking for a real challenge, this is it!
For optimal results, I recommend an energy-boosting pre-workout supplement like USPLabs Jack3d. This will improve your body’s ability to burn fat and help you get the most out of your ab workout. Follow up with Optimum 100% Natural Whey and a good recovery supplement like Optimum Glutamine, and your abs will be toned and ripped in no time!
Have any questions or feedback about these great ab workouts? Please leave a comment below…