The Carb Dilemma
Unfortunately, the most common to-go snacks tend to be high in carbs. Although carbs an important ingredient for sustaining energy, the problem with them is that if we have just a little too much our bodies will convert them to fat and store them for use later.
The good news is that you can get a leg up on carbs if you choose to the right carbs. Complex carbohydrates, like those found in fruits and vegetables, whole grains, quinoa, beans, and legumes take much longer to be converted into simple sugars and then fat.
So the first rule of healthy snacking is to choose these carbs over others. On the flipside the ones to avoid are simple carbohydrates, like those found in processed flour, white rice, and refined sugar.
7 Low Carb Snacks to Help You Drop Pounds
Keeping the carbs to a minimum and snacking between meals are a great way to keep your metabolism boosted and your fat burning potential at its max. So to help you stay healthy on the go, here are 7 low carb snacks to keep at hand.
1. Celery Sticks with Almond Butter – An easy and super nutritious snack, this one combines metabolism-boosting and immune-supporting celery with the healthy fats and protein of almond butter. Keep the almond butter to a single tablespoon, but go nuts with the celery. This one’s totally satisfying and will keep you feeling full.
2. Cottage Cheese with Fruit – Cottage cheese is extremely high in protein to give your metabolism a serious boost. Go for about half a cup of the low-fat or fat-free stuff, and top it with a bit of fresh fruit, like antioxidant-rich blueberries.
To make this one a superfood snack, try sprinkling your cottage cheese with some of these high-protein and high-fiber Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds.
3. Carrots with Hummus – One of my favorites, the carrots are great for keeping you healthy while the hummus is full of protein and fiber to help you lose weight. Plus, the carbs in this one are exactly the right kind.
4. Nuts – On their own, nuts are extremely nutritionally dense snacks that can actually boost your metabolism and satisfy your hunger in just a few servings. For low carb options, go for walnuts or these NOW Almonds.
5. Greek Yogurt with Honey & Nuts – Start with half a cup of low-fat or fat-free Greek yogurt, which is extremely high in protein to quiet your cravings. Top it with a teaspoon of all-natural honey and a few walnuts or almonds, and you’ve got a totally satisfying low carb snack.
6. Green Power Smoothie – For days when you’re running low on steam, make one of these superfood smoothies. All you need is some almond or soy milk (your choice), a little ice, a banana, and a scoop or two of Amazing Grass Green SuperFood Powder. The vitamins, minerals, and plant-derived phytonutrients will keep you healthy and energized!
7. Kale Chips – Of all the superfoods out there, kale definitely tops the list. It’s nutritionally dense and high in fiber and antioxidants to support a healthy metabolism. Just grab a bunch, chop it into bit-size pieces, toss in a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and bake on a baking sheet at 325 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. What you’ll end up with is an addictive, low carb snack that’s as close to potato chips as you’ll be able to get!
Have any questions or feedback about these 7 Low Carb Healthy Snacks on the Go? Please leave a comment below…