The Truth About Fats
When it comes to dieting and weight loss, fat is the best example of why it’s important to do a little research.
The truth is, not all fats are bad, making general statements about reducing your fat intake really inaccurate, and even counterproductive. Not only are all fats not bad, some of them are actually good for you. And some of them can help you lose weight.
It all comes down to your metabolism, or your body’s ability to use up calories for energy and bodily processes. The higher your metabolism, the more fat and calories you burn. And the food you eat has a big impact on that, including the right fats.
So before we get to some of the best healthy fats to boost your metabolism, let’s review the basics:
- Fats to Avoid – You want to avoid fats like trans fats (the kind found in butter, for example) and saturated fats (common in processed meats). These fats will do harm to your body and lead to fat deposits.
- Fats to Eat – Healthy fats include unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats like omega-3 fatty acids. These kinds of fats don’t stick around in your body for long periods of time, and can actually help you burn more calories during digestion.
Now, let’s take a look at 5 of the best healthy fats to help you burn fat…
5 Healthy Fats to Boost Metabolism
1. Extra Virgin Olive Oil – I use this stuff for pretty much everything in place of butter or margarine. Olive oil is a plant-based fat that’s much purer and less processed. Always go for cold-pressed olive oil, as it hasn’t been exposed to heat which can change its chemical properties.
Home-made salad dressings are an easy way to get a little more olive oil in your diet. Try these 5 Low Fat Salad Dressings here.
2. Dark Chocolate – Yup, it’s true. Dark chocolate isn’t only high in antioxidants, it’s also believed to give your metabolism a boost. Researchers have found that people tend to take in fewer calories after eating dark chocolate, believed to be due to the stearic acid in the cocoa butter, which slows your digestion.
3. Almond Butter – Almond butter is a great alternative to peanut butter. Not only do almonds have a higher nutritional value than peanuts, they also contain healthier fats. In fact, the compounds in almonds actually stop the absorption of fat, leading to less weight gain and a thinner waistline.
If you want a healthy, fat-burning snack, you can also snack on these NOW Almonds.
4. Grass-Fed Beef – You’ve probably already heard about the health benefits of salmon. But some of the same benefits that come with salmon, especially the omega-3 content, are also present in grass-fed beef. Research shows that it’s much higher in omega-3 fatty acids compared to other beef, and that means increased fat-burning for you.
5. Coconut Oil – Coconut oil is one of the newest health fads, but it’s for good reason. Studies show that it has a pretty serious impact on your metabolism, and can totally help you lose weight. But it’s an interesting case, because coconut oil contains a unique kind of saturated fat that actually burns more calories and lowers your cholesterol. In fact, studies have shown that it’s particularly effective for reducing belly fat!
Definitely add this one to your diet. It’s great for spreading, cooking, and even baking. Try it here – Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil.
Looking for a daily supplement to boost your intake of healthy fats (and your weight loss results)? Try these Optimum Fish Oil Softgels.
Have any questions or feedback about these 5 Best Healthy Fats for Weight Loss? Please leave a comment below…