Quinoa Salad Recipes
Looking for an easy addition to your weight loss diet plan? Well look no further…
If you haven’t already added quinoa to your diet, you need to! Quinoa is one of the most popular super foods on the market, and there’s good reason for it.
Quinoa is a grain-like crop that originated in Central and South America. Its primary use is for its edible seeds. They’re easy to cook (similar to rice) and make the perfect side dish to most meals. They can also be used as a base for summer salads and other dishes.
Quinoa has a number of nutritional benefits that are perfectly suited for a healthy and fit lifestyle. Whether you’re trying to lose weight, tone up, or pack on the muscle, this is one food item you need to try.
First, let’s take a closer look at the amazing nutritional benefits of quinoa.
Benefits of Quinoa
- High in Protein – Quinoa has one of the highest amounts of protein per serving for any grain-like food. This protein is plant-based, which makes it a great option for vegans looking for get more protein. The high protein in quinoa is perfect for supporting lean muscle growt.
- High in Fiber – Quinoa is also high in fiber, which is important for maintaining a healthy digestive tract. The fiber will also keep you feeling full for longer, so you’ll avoid those nasty cravings.
- Metabolism-Boosting – The high protein and fiber content of quinoa not only keeps you feeling full for longer, but it also gives your metabolism a major boost. Because these nutrients take longer to digest, your body actually burns more calories during digestion.
Quinoa Salad Recipes
Although it’s a great replacement for rice, quinoa makes the perfect summer salad. Check out these great recipes…
1. Tomato & Basil Quinoa Salad
Makes enough for 2 entrees or 4 sides.
1 cup quinoa, cooked (according to instructions on package)
3 cups tomatoes, diced
1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
½ cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic
Juice from 1 lemon
Salt & pepper to taste
In a large bowl, mix quinoa, tomatoes, spinach, and basil. Mix vinegar, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and salt & pepper in a separate bowl and add to salad as dressing. Toss lightly, top with feta cheese, and refrigerate before serving.
2. Middle Eastern Quinoa Salad
Put a Middle Eastern spin on the above recipe by replacing the basil and spinach with fresh mint and parsley (chopped, about ½ of each). Add chickpeas for added flavor and protein. Also try goat cheese instead of feta.
3. Asian Quinoa Salad
For the dressing, whisk together 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar and 1 teaspoon soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon honey (or more to taste). Replace lemon juice with orange juice and replace spinach and basil with cilantro and a minced green onion. Sprinkle with hot sauce for the perfect mix of flavors.
Give Your Metabolism a Boost with these Super Food Toppings
For some added nutritional benefits (even more metabolism-boosting protein, fiber, and antioxidants), try these super foods with your quinoa salad:
- Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil – use this in your dressing instead of olive oil. It contains unique fats that rev up your metabolism.
- Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds – sprinkle your quinoa salad with this super food topping.
Have any questions or feedback about these quinoa salad recipes? Please leave a comment below…