Plant Based Foods List
With all the positive attention on natural whole food diets in recent years, it’s no wonder that many people are considering incorporating plant-based foods in their diet.
Besides the possible moral and ethical objections, a plant-based diet can actually be very beneficial to your overall health and well-being.
Benefits of a Plant Based Diet
First, a plant based diet can help you avoid some of the harmful hormones, preservatives and other ingredients found in meats and meat by-products (like milk and eggs). Some meat or dairy based dietary options are high in bad fats and cholesterol, which can contribute to obesity and poor cardiovascular health. Many also have a lot of fillers and preservatives added to them, including sodium, which can lead to high blood pressure over time.
Some meats and meat by-products are also altered with growth hormones and steroids, making them potentially disruptive to your own hormone levels. What’s worse, these products may contain antibiotics that can lead to complications for health and wellness.
But there are benefits beyond those associated with reducing your meat and dairy intake. A plant-based diet is rich in vitamins, minerals, and fiber, all of which are important nutritional components that contribute to physical health, mental health, energy, and even weight loss.
Potential Risks of a Plant Based Diet
Although there are a lot of health benefits of adopting a plant based diet, a meal plan composed exclusively of vegetables and plant-based foods does making getting one important nutrient difficult. You probably guessed it – protein!
Plant-based proteins are hard to come by, and even when you do get it right, the type of protein is much simpler than the protein found in meat. Meat contains a greater variety of amino acids (the building blocks of protein and muscle), which means it more effectively contributes to lean muscle growth, tissue regeneration, and overall support of biological processes.
For this reason, it’s important for vegetarians and vegans to supplement with vegetable-based protein powders. One of the leading products on the market, which contains a diverse range of plant-based amino acids, is Vega Sport Performance Protein. This one’s specially designed for athletes and those who need extra protein support!
Plant-Based Foods List for Daily Living
Now that we have the basics covered, let’s look at some excellent plant-based foods that you should include in your diet today! Whether you’re going vegan or just trying to get healthy, these are all great additions…
- Blueberries – For optimal antioxidant support.
- Avocadoes – These are actually packed with protein and healthy fats!
- Kale – Eat this superfood at every chance you get!
- NOW Astragalus – Derived from blue-green algae, this is another superfood that will help keep you at the top of your game!
- Sweet Potatoes – Great replacement for starchy potatoes.
- Broccoli – Looking for a good dose of Vitamin C? This is one of your best options!
- Almonds – Nuts are great protein sources on a plant-based diet.
- Almond Milk – This is your best bet for a plant-based milk-alternative.
- Goji Berries – Snack on this dried superfood for an added punch!
- Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds – A good alternative to carbs, chia seeds are full of fiber and protein.
- Brussels Sprouts – Try them on for size, they’re full of healthy nutrients.
- Mushrooms – These fungi have natural antibiotic and antiviral properties!
- Beans & Legumes – For an added dose of protein, make sure you eat these often.
These are just a few healthy options to keep in mind, but no matter what you choose, you really can’t go wrong! A plant-based diet will definitely give you the vitamin and mineral support you need. Just remember to think about your protein.
If you do eat meat and meat by-products, try to go with organic options that leave out all the bad stuff. Over time your body will thank you, it just takes some smart planning and shopping to make this work with your budget.
Have any questions or feedback about this Plant Based Foods List? Please leave a comment below…