7 Amazing Eggplant Recipes
On the road to healthy eating, I find you need as many options as possible at your disposal. Let’s face it, half the battle is beating boredom.
These 7 healthy and delicious eggplant recipes will help you shake up your boring old mean plan while packing in a ton of nutrients.
Eggplant can seem a little intimidating to cook with, but it’s actually pretty easy. And it’s worth it, as this purple vegetable is packed full of nutritional value. High in fiber and a number of vitamins and minerals, including B vitamins and folate, eggplant is also full of healthy antioxidants and phytonutrients like flavonoids.
Not only will all of these ingredients help you stay fit and healthy, but one phytonutrient found in eggplant – nasunin – can be some pretty powerful brain food. Add to this the ability to lower cholesterol and maintain heart health, and eggplant is a pretty smart choice.
Here are 7 awesome eggplant recipes to get started…
7 Simple and Healthy Eggplant Recipes
Oven-Roasted Eggplant – A simple and easy side dish that takes just a few minutes to prepare.
- 2-3 medium sized eggplants
- ¾ cups of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 lemons
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
Directions: Heat your oven to 450 degrees (F). Slice each eggplant lengthwise without cutting all the way through. Arrange on a baking sheet, open face up. Slice lemons and insert the lemon slices into the eggplant slits, followed by garlic and oregano sprigs. Drizzle in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and roast covered for 30-40 minutes or until soft.
Grilled Eggplant Salad – This is one of my favorites, and totally delicious!
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of ginger root, finely chopped
- ½ cup of cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Slice eggplant into ½-inch rounds. Combine 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, and brush eggplant before placing on the grill, topping with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant until tender and a little charred, usually 4-5 minutes per side. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining oil and soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and cilantro. Drizzle over eggplant and serve.
Grilled Eggplant & Feta Pizza – For something a little hearty, add grilled eggplant to this low-fat pizza.
- grilled eggplant rounds (using directions from recipe above)
- 1 cup of prepared marinara sauce
- 3 cups of fresh baby spinach
- Best-Ever Pizza Dough
- 1 cup of low-fat feta cheese
Directions: Preheat your oven to 450 degrees (F). Once eggplant rounds are prepared using the salad recipe above, top pizza dough with marinara sauce, spinach, eggplant, and crumbled feta cheese (in that order). Bake on middle rack for 8-12 minutes.
Grilled Eggplant Provolone – A simple but tasty way to serve up eggplant with any meal.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 mild provolone slices from the deli
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Heat your grill to medium-high heat. Slice eggplant lengthwise into 2 halves. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, and oregano and brush onto the cut sides of the eggplant. Add salt and pepper as desired, and grill the eggplants cut side down for about 5-6 minutes. Flip, top with provolone slices, and grill for another 3-4 minutes.
Grilled Eggplant on Focaccia – Want to make more of a meal out of it? Turn the last recipe into a healthy sandwich.
- grilled eggplant halves topped with provolone (using directions from recipe above)
- 4 slices of focaccia bread (medium thickness) – you may also use whole grain bread here as desired
- handful of fresh baby spinach
- ½ red pepper, roasted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon of garlic aioli or mayo
Directions: Prepare grilled eggplant provolone according to directions above. Spread half of the aioli or mayo on each slice of bread, add with one eggplant half and top with a little baby spinach and roasted red pepper slices. Makes 2 sandwiches.
Glazed Eggplant with Sesame Seeds – A simple recipe with a ton of flavor.
- 2 medium-sized eggplants or 4 small eggplants
- 6 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- toasted sesame seeds
- finely chopped chives
Directions: Slice eggplants into 1-inch thick rounds and place on non-stick baking sheet. Brush with 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Bring to a boil and continue cooking until reduced. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F), and bake brushed eggplant for 15 minutes. In a small saucepan, whisk together soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, and brown sugar. Remove eggplant from oven, brush with mixture, and bake for another 10 minutes until tender. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chives before serving.
Simple Eggplant Parmesan – My favorite way to enjoy eggplant!
- 1 large eggplant, peeled
- 1 jar of prepared pasta sauce
- 2 cups of shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons of low-fat parmesan cheese
Directions: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees (F). After peeling, slice eggplant into thin strips. In a shallow baking dish, layer eggplant, sauce, and cheese. Top with parmesan cheese and remaining mozzarella, cover with foil, and bake for 35-45 minutes before serving.
Looking for more healthy veggie recipes?
Have any questions or feedback about these 7 Amazing Eggplant Recipes? Please leave a comment below…