Post Workout Snacks
If you think your workout is an excuse to binge on your favorite fast food, think again.
Post workout nutrition is absolutely key to your success with burning fat and developing lean muscle. In fact, it’s one of the most important time frames to consider when it comes to a healthy, muscle-building diet.
But I get it – it’s not always convenient to eat a full meal right after a hard workout. On top of that, you might not feel up to a lot of eating, even of the healthy sort.
So that’s why it’s important to have the right post workout snacks at your disposal.
Post Workout Snacks – Getting It Right
What should you look for in a good post workout snack? Here are a few things you should keep in mind…
- First, make sure your post workout snacks don’t have any of the bad stuff, particularly saturated or trans fats. These will just spell disaster for your fitness efforts. They should also be relatively low in sugar, lightly processed, and not coming from a fast food restaurant.
- Secondly, your post workout snacks should be high in protein, so you can give your muscles the fuel they need after a long hard workout. Muscle growth depends largely on the amount of protein in your diet, so top it up! But don’t give up on carbs altogether – a few healthy carbs help your body digest the protein.
- Finally, it’s always helpful if your post workout snacks are nutritionally rich and high in vitamins and minerals. Working out depletes your body of many essential vitamins and minerals, so it’s always good to think about them too.
Post Workout Snacks – Some Satisfying Ideas
Here are some great post workout snack ideas, to help you build muscle and recover after a long hard workout!
- Post Workout Protein Shake – Probably the best snack you can have after a workout is a protein shake, using a high quality protein like Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion. Blend together one scoop of protein, a little water, some almond milk, a banana, and some ice, and you’re good to go!
- Apple with Peanut Butter – Some apple slices with a tablespoon of peanut butter is a totally satisfying snack, and it’s packed full of the stuff your body needs!
- Greek Yogurt with Blueberries – Greek yogurt is super high in protein, and blueberries have a ton of healthy antioxidants like Vitamin C. Your muscles will totally get the fuel they need from this post workout snack!
- Protein Bar – There are a lot of healthy options out there for protein and energy bars, and they’re definitely the most convenient post workout snack you can grab. One of my favorites is this Vega Whole Food Energy Bar, which is made with whole foods and a good source of protein!
- Open-Face Tuna Sandwich – Mix half a can of tuna with some light mayo, and add it to a piece of whole grain toast or bread. This snack has a tone of protein and healthy carbs to replenish your resources!
- Mixed Greens Salad with Chicken – Probably one of the healthiest snacks, an organic mixed greens salad with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar would totally top up your vitamins and minerals. Add some chicken or fish, and you’ve got your protein in there too!
- Carrots and Hummus – On the lighter side of things, carrots and hummus are another great post workout snack. Vitamin-rich, low in fat, and with healthy vegetable-based protein, you can’t go wrong.
I guarantee these snacks will be a welcome choice for your muscles and your taste buds. But remember, if you’re hungry enough for an entire meal, go for it! Listening to your stomach is important – just keep it healthy!
Have any questions or feedback about these Post Workout Snacks? Please leave a comment below…