Chia Seed Recipes
Looking for a new super food to improve your health and energy?
Well believe it or not, one of the newest super foods to gain popularity is chia seeds. That’s right, the same seeds that gave way to the Chia Pet are being eaten for their incredible health benefits!
Chia seeds are healthy for a number of reasons. First, they’re low on the glycemic index, which means they’ll help you control your blood glucose levels and prevent unexpected cravings.
They’re also packed full of protein and fiber, both of which will help you feel full and satisfied throughout the day. This means your energy levels will be better maintained. The high omega-3 fatty acid content also supports mental functioning and gives your body’s fat-burning ability a boost, so you really can’t go wrong!
I prefer Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds, a high-quality, organic brand which is not highly processed or drenched in toxic herbicides and pesticides.
But what exactly can you do with chia seeds? And how can you cook with them? This article reviews some simple and tasty ways to add chia seeds to your diet.
Raw Chia Seed Recipes
Raw chia seeds can be added to a number of dishes, making them a simple and hassle-free option. Let’s look at a few…
1. Chia Seed Yogurt Bowl – You can’t get any simpler than this. Sprinkle a handful of chia seeds on top of plain, low-fat or non-fat yogurt. Top with your favorite fruit, and you have an energizing breakfast or snack option.
2. Cucumber Chia Seed Salad – This one makes a great side dish! Slice up 1 large cucumber and half of a yellow sweet onion. Add to this 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar, ½ tablespoon of sugar, and a pinch of salt. Mix these ingredients, and sprinkle with ½ tablespoon of chia seeds.
3. Chia Seed Chocolate Smoothie – My favorite! In a blender, add 1 cup of almond milk, 1 scoop of Milk Chocolate flavor Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion protein powder, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, ½ a frozen banana, and 1 tablespoon of chi seeds. Blend on high until smooth.
Cooked Chia Seed Recipes
Chia seeds can also be added to a number of cooked foods, for easy (and hidden) health-promoting diet solutions. Here are a few to get you started…
1. Banana & Chia Seed Loaf – This is a healthy spin on the classic banana bread. Simply add 1-2 tablespoons (depending on the desired amount) to any traditional banana bread recipe. Use whole grain whole wheat flour to keep things healthy.
2. Whole What Chia Seed Pancakes – These are delicious. Heat your griddle or pan to medium heat and spray with cooking oil. Beat one egg, and add 1 cup of milk and 1 tablespoon of canola oil. In another bowl, combine ½ cup of oats, 1 cup of whole wheat flour, 1 and ½ teaspoons of baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Stir dry mixture into wet mixture, and add 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 tablespoon of chia seeds. Pour ¼ cup portions of batter onto pan or griddle and cook as desired, making sure to flip halfway through.
3. Soy Glazed Salmon with Chia Seeds – Looking for a savory option? Marinate your salmon in this yummy sauce. Combine 3 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of reduced sodium soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar, and 1 teaspoon of chia seeds. Let salmon marinate for at least 15 minutes before placing on a greased cooking sheet and broiling for 10-15 minutes. The chia seeds will give your salmon a beautiful crusted texture.
Have any questions or feedback about these chia seed recipes? Please leave a comment below…