8 Foods that Pack on Muscle
One of the best ways to approach your fitness goals is to see your body as a machine.
And this is especially true if you’re trying to pack on muscle. In order to successfully gain lean muscle mass, you have to feed your muscles!
It’s estimated that in order to make gains in muscle mass, it’s necessary to consume 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight. So, if you weigh 160 pounds, you need to eat approximately that same number of grams of protein.
This may sound challenging, but over the course of the day, it’s really not too hard – you just need to focus on meals and snacks that contain significant amounts of protein.
This article reviews the top 8 protein-rich foods for packing on muscle. This is your protein shopping list, so get to it and watch your gains improve!
8 Foods that Pack on Muscle
1. Lean Meats – Whether it’s chicken, fish, or lean beef, animal protein is one of the best sources because it contains the greatest variety of amino acids. Amino acids form the building blocks of your muscles, so the more you get, the better your results!
2. Eggs – Eggs are another great animal-based protein source. One egg contains approximately 7 grams of protein! Although eggs have gotten a bad rap in recent years, new research suggests that they’re really not so bad unless you have issues with blood pressure. And they make for tasty breakfast and lunch options!
3. Nuts – If you’re trying to pack on muscle, nuts are one of your best options for snacking. Although they’re high in fat, they contain healthy fats that will actually boost your metabolism and contribute to your overall healthy. And they’re high in protein, so you can’t go wrong! NOW Almonds are one of your best options for supporting lean muscle growth.
4. Chia Seeds – Chia seeds are a new super food on the market, but they’ve been eaten for years for their nutritional benefits. High in protein, fiber, and antioxidants, they make the perfect muscle-building food! These Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds are my top pick.
5. Greek Yogurt – Another great snacking option, Greek yogurt is incredibly high in protein (much higher than regular yogurt), and the fat-free options make it that much better for your health and fitness goals!
6. Natural Whey Protein – To achieve your required daily protein intake, I always recommend supplementing with a high-quality whey protein like Optimum 100% Natural Whey. Protein shakes, if done right (without all the added sugar) are a highly effective method for supporting lean muscle growth. I suggest starting your day with a shake, and getting another within an hour before your workout for optimal support.
7. Spirulina Powder – Add this to your protein shake for additional protein and nutritional support. Spirulina powder is packed full of healthy, vegetable-based proteins and other vitamins and minerals that will contribute to muscle growth. NOW Spirulina Powder is also a great protein option for vegetarians and vegans.
8. Vega Plant-Based Protein – If you’re going vegetarian or have issues with dairy, then this Vega Sport Performance Protein is an excellent option for packing on muscle. Especially designed for athletes and bodybuilders, this one will give your muscles the support they need!
Have any questions or feedback about 8 Foods that Pack on Muscle? Please leave a comment below…