7 Foods a Nutritionist Would Never Eat
Nutritionists and dieticians play an important role in the health and fitness industry, but not everyone has the time or the money for a one-on-one consultation.
So I’m here to help, by reviewing 7 foods a nutritionist would never eat. All of these culprits are based on the principles of my Clean Eating Diet. Although it’s helpful to know what to eat to get healthy and stay fit, it’s also helpful to know what NOT to eat. Whether it’s losing weight or building muscle that’s your goal, these are 7 foods you need to remove from your diet immediately!
7 Foods to Avoid on Any Healthy Diet
1. Diet Soda – Diet soda is sweetened with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, and trust me, there’s nothing that nutritionists hate more! Artificial sweeteners have been shown in a number of studies to completely throw off your appetite and hunger, leading to weight gain over time.
Go for a beverage that’s full of nutrients to support a healthy lifestyle, like this VPX Coco Fit Coconut Water.
2. Non-Organic Strawberries – Studies have found residues from up to 13 chemical pesticides on any one batch of strawberries. These things are literally doused in chemicals, to the extent that strawberry farmers have to wear protective suits when spraying them.
There’s an easy solution for this one. Simply opt for organic strawberries. They may cost an extra dollar or two, but personally, I think it’s worth it.
3. Rice Cakes – These have become a snacking favorite for anyone trying to lose weight, but rice cakes can be pretty deceiving. They may seem like a light, low-fat salty snack, but they’re actually really high on the glycemic index. White rice is pretty much just as bad as white pasta, and any diet high in carbs is bad for toning and fat loss.
Instead, snack on nuts like these NOW Almonds. They’re packed full of healthy fats and protein to boost metabolism.
4. Corn – If you knew what corn was really made of nowadays, you’d agree with the nutritionists! Corn is so genetically modified that it hardly resembles the original plant, now capable of producing its own pesticides. Unfortunately, corn by-products are found in a lot of foods, from ketchup to bread, so you’ve got to watch out for it.
In addition, corn is also a starchy food, so it’s not so great for weight loss. Go for vegetables like broccoli, spinach, and leafy greens instead!
5. Low-Fat Salad Dressing – Like many other low-fat foods, companies actually add sugar and high-fructose corn syrup when they remove fat from their products. Salad dressings are one of the worst foods for this. Most nutritionists would agree, the natural combination of oil and vinegar actually improves your body’s ability to burn fat. So don’t screw it up!
Want to enhance your fat burning potential even more? Make your own salad dressing by mixing some red wine vinegar and this super fat-boosting Nutiva Organic Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil.
6. Peanut Butter – Unfortunately, the Jiffy peanut butter you grew up with as a kid is loaded with salt and sugar, two ingredients any nutritionist will tell you to avoid. The same goes for other nut butters, including those sugary hazelnut spreads.
But don’t worry, you can still enjoy a good PB and J, just go for an all-natural peanut butter blend that only lists peanuts under its ingredients!
7. Lattes, Cappuccinos, and Creamy Coffees – There’s nothing wrong with coffee and espresso on its own. They’re actually really high in antioxidants. But once you add all the cream and sugar, you’re pretty much ruining your chances for weight loss. And even the artificial sweeteners aren’t so great.
Want a healthy alternative to perk you up in the morning? Go for Magic Matcha Green Tea. It’s super high in antioxidants and actually has more caffeine than coffee! Plus it won’t leave you with the jitters.
Have any questions or feedback about these foods that a nutritionist would never eat? Please leave a comment below…