Benefits of Chia Seeds
You’ve heard of the Chia Pet, right? But did you know that chia seeds can also be a great addition to your diet?
It’s true. What was once only seen on infomercials is now becoming a popular super food!
Chia seeds originate from the South American plant called Salvia hispanica. In addition to high levels of protein, fiber, and healthy fatty acids and oils, chia seeds are also packed full of antioxidants.
All of these qualities have led North Americans to classify chia seeds as a super food. They’re great for controlling your blood sugar level, preventing cravings, and keeping you feeling full and satisfied. These qualities are primarily due to the protein and fiber packed into these little seeds. The antioxidants and healthy fats are just an added bonus and further contribute to weight loss and overall health.
Here’s a breakdown of the benefits of adding chia seeds to your diet…
Benefits of Chia Seeds
1. Feel More Satisfied – This is probably the top weight loss and diet benefit. There’s nothing more frustrating than dealing with cravings, and adding chia seeds to your diet can help you avoid the hunger. The protein and fiber take longer to digest, so they stay in your stomach longer and keep you feeling full.
2. Boost Your Metabolism – Because they take longer to digest, chia seeds also give your metabolism a boost and will actually burn more fat and calories during digestion! The omega 3 fatty acids will further increase your metabolic rate.
3. Feel Energized – Since chia seeds are one of the highest plant-based sources of protein available, it will help keep your energy levels up throughout the day. The protein in these seeds is also complete, meaning you don’t need to combine it with other foods to reap the benefits.
4. Fight Aging – Consuming the antioxidants found in chia seeds is one of the best anti-aging strategies you can adopt. Antioxidants prevent cell oxidation, which is what leads to the breakdown and aging of cells.
5. Get Your Omega-3 Fatty Acids – You’ve probably heard of the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids for your overall health. They help improve mental functioning, lead to healthier skin, and play a significant role in weight loss. Chia seeds are one of the best plant-based sources of omega 3’s, which is especially helpful if you don’t like eating a lot of fish!
Okay, so now you know the benefits of chia seeds. But where can you find them? And what do you do with them?
Chia seeds can be eaten raw by adding them to salads, cereals, or oatmeal, or they can be baked in breads or muffins. Ground up chia seeds can also be added to whatever you’d like, including protein shakes for an added punch.
If you’re a health nut, or just looking to try something new in your weight loss efforts, I highly recommend trying out chia seeds. You can buy some great organic chia seeds online – check them out here. These Nutiva Organic Chia Seed are one of the best new super foods out there and I’m implementing them into my diet as soon as get my order so stay tuned to more about this superfood.
Have any questions or feedback about the Benefits of Chia Seeds? Please leave a comment below…