Starting Off on the Right Foot
No doubt, a healthy breakfast is where it all starts to get you off on the right foot for the day, so if you can get it right you’ll be setting a healthy pace for the rest of your day.
One awesome healthy ingredient that you may not have considered for breakfast is quinoa. This nutritionally dense super food is high in protein, fiber, and healthy complex carbohydrates, everything you need for a morning boost.
These 3 delicious quinoa breakfast recipe are sure to keep your hunger in control & help you carve out your midsection.
To save you on time in the morning it’s best if you’ve already cooked the quinoa ahead of time and can grab it as needed from the fridge.
Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Recipes to Start Your Day
1. Quinoa Egg Scramble – This recipe offers a powerful serving of protein, so if you’re working out hard or just trying to boost your metabolism, give this one a try. Here’s what you need:
- ¼ cup of cooked quinoa
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 tablespoon of skim milk or milk alternative
- 1 cup of fresh baby spinach
- ½ tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic (can substitute with garlic powder)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Grab a non-stick skillet or frying pan and bring to medium heat. Add in your olive oil and garlic, and cook for about a minute. In a small mixing bowl, whisk your eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper. Set aside, and add the cup of spinach to the skillet, cooking for only about 30 seconds (until just starting to wilt). Pour the egg and milk mixture into the skillet, and beat the eggs continuously (just like making scrambled eggs). Just before the eggs are cooked through, add your quinoa and mix in lightly. Top off with a little parmesan cheese and serve.
2. Quinoa Banana Pancakes – This is one of my favorite pancake recipes, and it’s seriously one of the best healthy pancake options you’ll find. Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup of cooked quinoa
- ¾ cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of low-fat milk or milk alternative
- 2 tablespoons of 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 medium-sized ripened banana
In one mixing bowl, combine quinoa, flour, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, egg white, 1 tablespoon of butter (melted), and maple syrup. Combine wet and dry mixtures and mix well. The cut up your banana into small pieces and lightly incorporate into mixture. Bring a non-stick skillet or griddle to medium heat, coating with the other tablespoon of butter. Using a spoon or ladle, drop batter onto skillet and cook each pancake until bubbles start appearing. Flip and cook on opposite side, making sure not to overcook. Serve with some extra banana chunks and a drizzle of maple syrup.
3. Quinoa Breakfast Bowl – This recipe is a great twist on your morning oatmeal and fruit, and it’s even healthier. You can do this one any way you like, with any combination of fruit toppings. Here’s what I recommend:
- 1/2 cup of quinoa, cooled
- 1 tablespoon of all-natural raw honey
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup of raspberries or strawberries, quartered
- 1 tablespoon of chopped almonds or walnuts
- 1/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt
Make sure your quinoa is cooled for this recipe. Add the quinoa to a bowl, stir in honey, and top with apple, strawberry, and walnuts. Finish off with a scoop of Greek yogurt, and sprinkle on a little brown sugar as desired. This technically makes 2 servings, so you can divide into 2 smaller bowls if you like.
Looking for more Healthy Breakfast Ideas?
Try my instant Breakfast Ideas to Jumpstart Your Day, or take a look at my list of 10 of the Best Healthy Breakfast Alternatives.
If it’s a healthy new breakfast recipe you’re looking for, you can also try my Protein Pancakes Recipe.
Which one of these 3 Healthy Quinoa Breakfast Recipes is your favorite? Please leave a comment below…