Top 10 Workout Supplements for Women
Nutrition & Supplements for Women
Updated January 10, 2016
You’re either having problems with motivation or you’re noticing that your weight is actually going up when you get in the gym, so perhaps supplements may help you reach your efforts better? With that question in mind, one of your concerns is that supplements are not safe and can lead to future health problems, but is this really the case?
Well the answer is – not necessarily, it really depends on what supplements you choose to take. Sure some diet pills are actually quite intense and if you combine that with a not-so-healthy diet then you are setting yourself up for serious health complications. That is where this article comes into play. It’s sole purpose is to help you make an informed and educated decision on what you put into your body.
Now before I get into these top 10 workout supplements I will give you some serious advice to consider and you really should take it to heart. Are you having a balanced and healthy diet for at least 5-6 days of the week? Or are you rushing through and just getting by and substituting processed cereals as meals?
I’ve provided hundreds of really healthy and tasty breakfast, lunch and dinner recipes in the Nutrition Tips section of this website so make sure to review that and PLAN in advance! Planning in advance is your greatest weapon against fat loss.
Ok, so I’ve stressed the diet thing enough already right? You want to know more about these supplements and how they can benefit you so I’ll give you a quick rundown and include links for the best prices you can get on them (I’ll provide some transparency here and mention the we appreciate your support for this website by purchasing through our affiliate for these high quality supplements.)
Top 10 Workout Supplements for Women
1. Protein Powder: You might think that this is only supposed to be for the guys, but get that out of your mind. I have my mom taking protein smoothies in the morning and she is amazed at how much benefit she is getting from it. It helps her fight cravings for unhealthy foods, keeps her energized for her workouts, and also has helped her lose considerable tummy fat.
The top selling protein powder in the industry which is getting a lot of attention because it is free of artificial sweetners (which almost all protein powders have) is Optimum 100% Natural Whey which I also have in my kitchen. The vanilla flavour is great for mixing with fruit at anytime of the day for a healthy snack and I even got some for my mom and sister who have seen great results in losing a few inches in their midsection. If you’re especially sensitive to lactose it is also completely lactose free and great for those of you who are on low carb/low fat diets. Here is the link – Optimum 100% Natural Whey. For those of you who want a protein powder that is vegetarian (or vegan) then I would highly recommend a new leader in the natural health space: Gardenia All Natural Vegan Protein which includes protein from peas and quinoa, just awesome!
2. Multi Vitamins for Women: If you have a healthy diet full of veggies, fruits, lean meats and beans then chances are you are probably getting most of your required minerals and vitamins. But the thing is that if you’re working out then your body has a greater requirement for these to help recover after strenuous workouts. I think it’s a safe bet to make sure you get all the required vitamins and minerals by taking a daily supplement which is specifically designed for women.
The same great brand as the whey protein above by the name of Optimum has created a very affordable multi-vitamin especially for women and includes Iron and heart healthy antioxidants. Here is the link – Optimum Opti-Women
3. Creatine: Creatine is a natural supplement that is hands down one of the most effective in creating strong muscle. There has been more research on this one supplement probably more than any other I have seen and even Olympic level athletes are taking it. It’s naturally found in meat, but having enough to help us in our workouts is pretty challenging unless you are eating tons of meat, so the supplement really makes sense. The way creatine works is pretty simple, it just helps our bodies store and use more energy especially in intense situations, in other words helps you get in one or two last repetitions.
One note to mention, creatine does cause a little water retention but that water actually helps with the transport of nutrients to our muscles. These effects are temporary and when you take time off from creatine you will notice some serious weight loss and your muscles showing through with amazing definition and tone. Lucky for you there is one brand that actually has a women’s formula. Here is the link – Kre-a-fem.
4. Pre-workout energy drink – If motivation is even slightly a problem for you then a pre-workout energy drink is a pretty great solution to giving you the boost you need. But most of these are again designed for men looking to pack on lots of muscle, so what about women? Well the good news is that there is a relatively new kid on the block that is a favorite for women including green tea extract and essential amino acids to help build lean muscle – Essential Amino Energy.
5. Omega 3’s – You’ve probably heard of these a lot lately, Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid (EFA) that we need to include in our diet because our bodies can not create them by itself. Recent research has proven that Omega 3’s are great for cardiovascular health and cognitive function but also help your body in rebuilding cells as well as joint flexibility (which also helps muscles grow faster).
It’s pretty much a no brainer to include Omega 3 supplementation, and if you wanted one that was specific for women, you got it! Garden Of Life Oceans 3 Healthy Hormones includes high quality Omega 3 as well as blend which is great for healthy skin and hormone production. Here is the link – Garden of Life Oceans 3 Healthy Hormones.
6. Thermogenic Fat Burner – This isn’t an essential one but many of you women are looking for metabolism boosting thermogenic fat burners which have the least side effects. Word of caution, these can still be pretty intensive so make sure you have a great diet and lots of water if you want to try this. The leader in the industry for this is Cellucor Super HD as it is proven to help with curbing cravings and is highly effective.
On the other hand if you are looking for a thermogenic fat burner which doesn’t have stimulants then one of the latest and hottest in the market which is getting a ton of positive feedback from women is: CLA Core. It attacks your fat cells from many different angles and the blend for women is pretty impressive. Here is the link – CLA Core.
7. BCAA’s – BCAA’s also known as branch chained amino acids include 3 of the 8 essential amino acids our body need to make muscle: leucine, isoleucine and valine. Whenever we workout our body breaks down some of our muscle to create these amino acids for fuel, so supplying BCAA’s can help spare our muscles from being broken down. Because of this they are very popular supplementation for strength training individuals and are even given to patients recovering from cancer because of their positive effects. Remember more muscle doesn’t necessarily mean greater bulk and muscle helps your body burn more calories.
One of the leaders in the industry for BCAA which is also popular for women is Optimum BCAA. Here is the link – Optimum BCAA Caps.
8. Natural Sleep Supplement – You should know by now from reading many of the articles on this site how important sleep is to your muscle muscle building efforts. This is the time when our muscles repair, recover and grow and if you’re not getting a rich deep sleep you are robbing yourself of the best results possible.
A great natural sleep aid which is getting a lot of attention for increasing quality of sleep is Natural Rescue Sleep Remedy. It’s a highly effective non-habit forming and quick acting spray which is 100% natural. Here is the link – Natural Rescue Sleep Remedy.
9. Antioxidants – There are many berries like Acai and Gojiberry that are all the rage right now because of their high antioxidant content. Antioxidants are important especially for women because they help reduce the harmful effects of stress by helping your bodies eliminate toxins and keep you looking young.
NOW Nutrition creates a very affordable Acai supplement which is full of antioxidants, vitamin C, and polyphenols. and Here is the link – NOW Acai.
10. Joint Support – Along side Omega 3’s, Glucosamine is a supplement which used to support flexibility and mobility of our joints. Research has already shown that the more flexible we are the greater range of motion our joints and muscles have which means better results when strength training. Furthermore, if you have knee, shoulder or back pain you may want to experiment supplementing with this natural product (generally found in shells of shellfish and animal bone marrow).
A pretty cool joint support supplement which includes Glucoasmine and Chondroitin (which is also great for joint support) is NOW Glucosamine & Chondroitin MSM. Here is the link – NOW Glucosamine Chondroitin MSM.
Conclusion: Top 10 Workout Supplements for Women
It has taken me quite a bit of time to do the research to create this list of top 10 workout supplements for women but I sincerely hope that you found it very informative. Ultimately, no one knows your body like you do so try different supplements and see how they work for you. You generally need to give them at least a couple weeks to know the true results so be patient and remember you need to have a healthy diet, exercise plan (check out my Fitness Plan for Women) and regular sleep to really get the most maximum results.
I hope you save this page as a bookmark and share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter so we can get feedback on the results of these supplements.
Have any questions, or feedback about this top 10 supplement list for women? Please leave a comment below…