The Snack that Hits the Spot
I don’t know about you but sometimes good snacking really hits the spot and the good news is that if you’re smart about what you get from the grocery store it can be a part of a healthy lifestyle. When done right, it can actually boost your muscle building and fat burning results by keeping your metabolism high and preventing your body from being greedy about storing fat for energy.
But with all this said the trick is that you need to make sure you’re not overeating over the course of the day. Your breakfast, lunch, and dinner should be well balanced and portioned, allowing you to snack in between and before bed. By snacking between meals, you’ll keep your metabolism boosted and actually burn more calories over the course of the day.
That’s right – you can even snack before bed! Just go for low-carb, high protein or high fiber options. Research is showing that this can help you burn more fat while you sleep!
But you’ve really got to get your snacks right to make this work. To give you a hand, here are 10 healthy snacks to boost your metabolism AND keep you feeling satisfied.
10 of the Healthiest Snacks to Keep You Feeling Full
So almonds definitely top my list of healthy snacks. They’re really the perfect snack – high in protein, high in fiber, and packed full of all-natural energy. Not only will you feel satisfied from just a handful of these nuts, you’ll also rev up your metabolism. These are an especially good choice for men, as they contain natural ingredients that boost testosterone.
Try these Cajun Lemon Pepper Almonds and triple up on the metabolism boost!
2. Guacamole Bruschetta
For something a little more satisfying, try a homemade guacamole extravaganza. Avocado is high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats to get you burning more calories.
- ½ loaf French bread
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, medium chopped
- 2 avocados, medium chopped
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Slice the French bread on the diagonal into half an inch rounds and place on a baking sheet.
- Place bread in the oven and toast for three minutes, then turn each piece over and toast an additional three minutes.
- Remove the toasted bread from the oven and immediately grind with the clove of garlic (it works best to first cut a small tip off the garlic clove so that the oils will seep out).
- Brush the tops of the garlic-rubbed toasts with olive oil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix together gently making sure the avocado is well coated in the lime juice.
- Spoon a portion of the mixture onto each of the garlic toasts and serve.
3. Kale Chips
These ones continue to gain in popularity, and for good reason. Kale is a nutritionally dense vegetable that can serve an important role in any healthy diet. Buy them prepared or make them on your own with a little olive oil and some seasoning.
4. Maple Roasted Walnuts
Have a sweet tooth? Drizzle a little 100% pure maple syrup on some walnuts and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or so. This is the perfect sweet and salty snack!
5. Greek Yogurt with Chia Seeds & Fruit
Non-fat Greek yogurt is a great snack to have on hand, with a ton of protein to keep you satisfied and boost your metabolism. Top with some berries or kiwi and Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds – they’re high in omega-3 fatty acids to help you burn even more calories!
6. Cottage Cheese with Honey
Cottage cheese is another great snack. Enjoy it on its own, or sweeten it up just like yogurt with a bit of honey or some fruit. Pineapple is one of my favorite fruits to pair with cottage cheese.
7. Greek Yogurt Deviled Eggs
Rather than a traditional deviled egg recipe with mayonnaise, try using some plain Greek yogurt and a little Dijon mustard for the filling. It tastes amazing and cuts down on the fat! Plus the protein in the eggs will keep you full.
8. Bananas with Dark Chocolate Drizzle
Need something a little more indulgent? Slice up a banana into 1-inch pieces and arrange on a plate. In a small bowl, melt 2-3 squares of dark chocolate (70% or higher) and drizzle onto the banana.
9. Apple Slices with Cinnamon
A simple snack, both the apple and cinnamon contain metabolism enhancing properties to burn fat and help you lose the weight. The cinnamon also helps suppress your appetite, avoiding those annoying cravings.
10. Pumpkin Pie Shake
If you’re looking for something new and interesting (and delicious!) in your snacking repertoire, you have to give my Yummy Pumpkin Pie Shake Recipe a try. It’s healthy, satisfying, and offers a great way to ward off hunger pangs between meals!
Have any questions or feedback about these Top 10 Healthy Snacks to Keep You Full? Please leave a comment below…