Top 10 Actionable Weight Loss Tips
I see it all the time with my clients. People want to either lose weight or build muscle, but they don’t often have an overall goal of health and fitness in mind.
But it shouldn’t be one or the other. The best approach to either goal (weight loss or muscle gain) is to strive towards fitness. This is why dieting alone so rarely works.
So to get at the heart of this issue, I’ve compiled 10 actionable weight loss tips that are really all about improving your overall fitness and increasing your body’s potential for burning fat and losing weight. These tips are practical and to the point, and trust me, they work!
10 Actionable Weight Loss Tips
1. Be More Active – Whenever and wherever you can, you should be living an active lifestyle. Even if it’s not possible to be active in your job, weight loss and fitness require moving your body, simply put! Use little easy tricks like parking further away from grocery store, taking stairs instead of elevator, walking faster on the sidewalk or even just jumping rope (I recommend: )for a few minutes early in the morning. These all add up and burn extra calories which means more weight loss.
2. Ditch the Processed Food – Processed foods are a major cause of obesity in North America, so you need to avoid them at all cost. The best approach to any diet is one that focuses on natural, whole foods.
3. Don’t Focus on Exercise Alone – There’s a lot of confusion surrounding this issue, and a lot of people think that exercise alone will lead to weight loss success. The truth is, real weight loss requires a combination of regular exercise and a healthy diet. In fact diet is one of the largest components causing your belly to look pudgy, and even though eating right is always not the most convenient having smart supplements on hand will help you get all your needs and give you extra energy, check out two of my most popular articles – Top 10 Workout Supplements for Women and Top 10 Workout Supplements for Men.
4. Keep Intense Workouts Short – Unless you’re an athlete, really intense workouts like interval training are more effective in short duration. If you try to keep at them, you’ll just burn out!
5. Get Lots of Veggies, Protein, and Healthy Fats – These should be your primary goals when it comes to your weight loss diet. Vegetables are a given, but protein is also highly effective at curbing appetite and getting you burning more calories. I always recommend a healthy protein supplement like Optimum 100% Natural Whey.
6. Lift Weights Regularly – Lifting weights and building lean muscle mass is a must for any weight loss or fitness program. Simply put, the more muscle mass you have, the higher your resting metabolic rate!
7. Get a Good Night’s Sleep – Many people overlook this one, but it’s essential. Maintaining a regular sleep routine is critical for your body to recover from your workouts and more generally fight the daily effects of stress, which can lead to weigh gain! If you’re having trouble sleeping, consider a natural sleep aid like Top Secret Nutrition Sleep.
8. Do Aerobic Exercises – Aerobic exercises (aka longer duration cardio) are often an afterthought, but they should be done on a regular basis. Aerobics give your body a break from all those intense workouts, and will keep your body toned and flexible.
9. Say No to Salt – We always hear about reducing fat, sugar, and salt in our diets, but I can’t stress enough how important it is to ditch the salt. A high sodium intake not only contributes to high blood pressure, but it also makes your body retain water, which is going to make weight loss and toning very frustrating!
10. Get Outside – So I started this list with a suggestion to get more active, and I’m ending it with this tip: Get outside! Getting active outside will improve your overall mood, which means you’ll feel more motivated to live a healthy lifestyle. It will also give you a break from the gym and allow your body to engage in more natural movements. You can’t go wrong!
Have any questions or feedback about these Top 10 Actionable Weight Loss Tips? Please leave a comment below…