Secrets to Boosting Metabolism & Lean Muscle
If you’re like me, you like to get your workout done and out of the way first thing in the morning. But morning workouts make breakfast even more important than usual. In this article, I’m going to review some tasty, satisfying, and effective morning pre workout meals.
These meals are designed to boost your energy, jumpstart your metabolism, and support muscle building and recovery at the gym.
Before getting into the meals some of you may be working out super early in the morning and thus are questioning whether you should have substantial meals like these listed. In the most ideal world you can get up and eat one of these pre-workout meals which will help you replenish your muscle glycogen levels which will help you push through even the most grueling workouts.
With that said you need about 60-90 minutes to digest your food so if you can time it so you eat right away after waking up, then get ready for the gym and everything you need for after the gym to get to work on time. Then once you are at the gym or doing your workout your body will have metabolized the food and provide you with sustaining energy.
If this is absolutely not possible then try half a banana and a pre-workout drink or shake and then have one of these meals immediately following your workout.
There are three basic principles to keep in mind when it comes to preparing the best pre-workout meals:
1. Make Protein a Priority – Protein is by far the first ingredient you need to consider. Protein will aid in building muscle and improve your gains at the gym. Protein contains amino acids which are the building blocks of muscle tissue.
2. Include Complex Carbohydrates – Carbohydrates definitely provide your body with a lot of fuel, but complex carbs are what you need to look for. This includes the carbs found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Not only will they sustain your energy longer, they won’t cause your blood sugar level to spike.
3. Get Your Vitamins – Last but not least, you need to ensure that your pre-workout meals are packed full of vitamins and minerals. This is especially important in the mornings, when your body needs a nutritional boost the most. Vitamins and minerals will help sustain your energy levels throughout your workout and your day.
Now let’s take a look at some great pre workout breakfast ideas…
Morning Meal Ideas to Fuel Your Workout
1. Oatmeal Bowl – Oats are one of the best pre workout ingredients you can find. They’re whole grain, minimally processed, and high in protein. Steel cut oats are ideal, but quick oats are fine if you’re tight on time. But don’t use the instant packages. Instead, add fresh berries, sliced almonds, and a little cinnamon and brown sugar to plain oatmeal.
2. Pre Workout Shake – There’s no denying the impact of a healthy protein shake, especially in the morning. This is my personal favorite when it comes to pre workout meals any time of the day. A good pre workout shake will give you the energy you need without making you uncomfortably full during your workout. Click here for my best recipe – Best Pre Workout Shake
3. Egg White Veggie Omelet – Eggs are great muscle building ingredients, so if you’re looking for something a little more traditional in the breakfast arena, try an egg white omelet. I recommend using only 2 or 3 egg whites, so you don’t get too full before your workout. Adding veggies like peppers, zucchini, and broccoli will keep you at the top of your game.
4. Yogurt Parfait – On the lighter side of things, yogurt is a fantastic pre workout morning snack. It’s high in protein, and with the addition of fresh fruit and a sprinkle of granola, you’ve got yourself a complete meal. To reduce the fat even further and boost the protein content, try fat-free Greek yogurt.
5. Protein Pancakes – If you want an occasional breakfast treat that also fuels muscle growth, you’ve got to give my protein pancakes a try. They’re full of healthy ingredients to keep you moving! Try the recipe here – Protein Pancakes Recipe
A Note about Pre Workout Supplements
I’ll leave you with one final tip: If you’re looking for an even more intense boost to your morning workouts, then I recommend trying one of these Best Pre Workout Supplements. There are some great supplements out there that will not only support muscle growth, but also energize your workouts in a serious way!
Have any questions or feedback about these pre workout meals? Please leave a comment below…