Hugh Jackman Workout
Hugh Jackman Workout Plan
Star of X-Men and Australia, Hugh Jackman has built a body like a brick and his next superhero movie “Wolverine” is going to show him at his best physique. So what is this Aussie doing that has his training program so highly requested by other celebrities?
Hugh’s workouts consisted of a multi-phase approach.
1st phase was focused on building mass by changing the speed of each lift, 3 sec count up and then a 1 sec count down or really slow 4 sec count up and 4 count down.
2nd phase focused on strength by lifting really heavy weights, without the sec count.
Each phase lasted from six to twelve weeks, for 1-2hrs, 5 days a week.
When it is close to shooting time, he lifts weights 1 day and fills the other days with running, yoga, pilates, and stretching. For the full workout check out below…
P.S. I have updated Hugh’s workout for his new role if you want to check that out visit Hugh Jackman Workout.
Hugh Jackman Workout Day 1
* Dumbbell Chest Press (Swiss ball and dumbbells required): While holding a pair of dumbbells, get into a table-top position with chest up and back to the floor, and with head resting on a Swiss ball and knees bent (imagine doing bench presses without the bench but using your core muscles and feet to stabilize your weight distribution).Keep hips up and shoulder blades pulled down and back together. Perform 12 reps (pick a weight so the 12th rep is hard); 3 seconds up and 3 seconds down.
* Push-ups: Do immediately after chest press. Keep head in line with the spine and support lower back by pulling belly button into the spine. Can be done from knees or toes. Perform 25 reps (take a break if you have to, but finish 25). Rest 1 minute and repeat Dumbbell Press and Push-ups for 3 sets.
* Lat Pull Downs (modular lat pulldown machine required): With palms facing away from the body, grip hands on the bend of the bar. Pull bar down below chin, keeping shoulder blades pulled down and together. Perform 12 reps; 3 seconds down and 3 seconds up.
* External Shoulder Rotations (tubing required): Do immediately after Lat Pull Downs . Use tubing with palms facing up and elbows in tight to body. Stretch out band, holding elbows at 90 degrees, thumbs outward. Perform 20 reps; 2 seconds out and 2 seconds back. Rest 1 minute and repeat Lat Pulls and External Shoulder Rotations for 3 sets.
* Cable Side Raise (adjustable cable pulley machine required): Grip a cable in front of the body with one arm, with a slight bend in the elbow. Hold posture, keep shoulder blades down and back. Perform 12 reps; 3 seconds down and 3 seconds up. Do other arm immediately.
* Straight Bar Curl (free-standing bar required): Grab bar shoulder-width apart and curl, holding a soft knee bend and without arching back. Perform 12 reps; 3 seconds up and 3 seconds down.
* Close Grip Bar Push-up (free-standing bar and squat rack required): Do immediately after Straight Bar Curl. In a squat rack, set up bar at waist height. Perform a push-up with elbows in tight. Do 12 reps; 5 seconds down and 5 seconds up. Rest 1 minute. Repeat Straight Bar Curls and Close Grip Bar Push-ups for 3 sets.
Hugh Jackman Workout Day 2
* Leg Squat: Slowly lower the body on one leg, bringing the hips back so the front knee does not go beyond the toes and squat until upper thigh is parallel to the ground. Perform 12 reps on each leg; 3 seconds up and 3 seconds down. Rest 1 minute and repeat for 3 sets.
* Balance Board Lunge (extreme or round board is required): Place one foot centered on balance board, back foot on toes behind in a lunge. Slowly bend both back and front knees into a lunge until front thigh is parallel to the ground. Perform 12 reps on each leg; 4 seconds down and 4 seconds up.
* Split Leg Box Jump (do immediately after balance lunge): Plant one foot on top of a box/bench that holds the front knee at 90 degrees. With weight mainly on the top leg, jump and switch legs. Do 30 jumps. Rest 1 minute. Repeat Balance Board Lunge and Split Leg Box Jumps – 3 sets.
* Jack Knife: Start in a push-up position with toes on top of a Swiss ball. Raise hips up slightly and draw the belly-button into the spine. Pull knees up towards chest. Perform 20 reps; 2 seconds in and 2 seconds out.
* Swiss Ball Crunch (do immediately after jack knife): Lie on top of ball with low back supported; pull in belly button to spine. Perform crunch, exhaling as you come up without allowing stomach to “pop up.” Perform 20 reps; 2 seconds up and 2 seconds down. Rest 1 min and repeat Jack Knife and Crunch 3 sets.
Hugh Jackman Workout Day 3
Do 3 sets of the following exercises with no rest in between.
* Walking Lunges: Hold dumbbells at sides. Step through front heel and bring back knee towards floor. Do 30 steps.
* Push-ups: Do 100.
* Swiss Ball Crunch: Do 50.
* Sprint: Outside or on treadmill, sprint 1 minute at 80 per cent intensity.
* Inch Worms : In a push-up position, take tiny steps so the feet come towards the hands. Keep walking until you feel a gentle stretch through the hamstrings. Do this 30 times.
* Lat Pull Downs : Do 50.
* Stairs: Take every second step. Perform 20 reps (up and down is 1).
Recommended Supplements for the Hugh Jackman Workout:
- Creatine for volumizing and strength gains (BSN CellMass)
- Glutamine for immunity and muscle recovery (Scivation Xtend)
- Whey protein for muscle tissue development (Combat Powder)
- Super Multi-Vitamin for Men: Universal Animal Pak
Conclusion of Hugh Jackman Workout:
It is key to have tons of protein (try supplementing with whey protein), and 4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables daily. Because of the high intensity remember warm up adequately before starting and get in lots of flexibility training at the end of your workouts.
Have you tried this workout? Leave a comment below: