Foods that Fight Stress
Stress is part of life, right? Sure it is, but there’s a lot we can do to minimize its impact.
One of the key factors in how we experience and deal with stress is our diet. Believe it or not, what you put in your body not only affects your metabolism – it also affects your mood, focus, and mental energy.
So what can you do to ensure your diet is primed to fight stress? Well it all comes down to a few simple food choices throughout your day. This article reviews some of the top foods for fighting stress and staying on top of your game.
Foods that Fight Stress
1. Avocados – Although you may crave high-fat foods when you’re stressed, you don’t need to be unhealthy about it. Avocados are a great stress-busting option for a few reasons. First, they’re full of potassium (487 mg in half an avocado), which is one of the most effective solutions for high blood pressure.
Avocados are also high in monounsaturated fats, which can lower blood pressure and get you feeling more satisfied. These healthy fats also help to improve mental functioning and will give your weight loss efforts a boost, so you really can’t go wrong here.
2. Almonds & Other Nuts – Almonds, pistachios, and walnuts are some of the best snacking options available. The antioxidant Vitamin E helps fight stress, the healthy fats help to lower blood pressure and improve mental functioning, and the protein will help keep you full and satisfied.
Almonds also contain vitamin B, which can give your body the support it needs when stressful events are encountered. B vitamins are also important for maintaining energy and mental health. This is why I always recommend supplementing with a vitamin B complex like NOW B-100.
3. Oatmeal – Healthy carbohydrates are great at increasing your body’s natural serotonin levels, which is an extremely effective way of fighting stress. Serotonin is the body’s “feel-good” hormone, so it can really help you get through your busy day. Top your oatmeal with a super food like Nutiva Organic Chia Seeds for an added nutritional boost!
4. Orange Juice – This one’s all about the vitamin C. This powerful antioxidant can help you feel more focused and less stressed, especially when it comes to work or school. A vitamin C supplement like NOW C-1000 can also do the trick, or try NOW Acai, which is also high in Vitamin C and other stress-busting antioxidants.
5. Salmon – Like avocados and nuts, salmon is also high in healthy monounsaturated fats. This tasty fish is especially high in omega-3 fatty acids, which not only improve mental health, but also prevent harmful spikes in cortisol and adrenaline that result from stress. If you’re not a fan of avocados or salmon, an omega-3 supplement like NOW Ultra Omega-3 or Optimum Fish Oil Softgels (the more natural option of the two) can also do the trick.
Foods that Fight Stress – Conclusion
These foods all sounds like pretty good options to me! Fighting stress is easier than you think. Make the right choices in your diet, and you’ll be feeling calmer and more energized in no time!
Have any questions or feedback about Foods that Fight Stress? Please leave a comment below…