Fat Loss Supplements 101
When it comes to weight loss and fat burning supplements, things can get pretty confusing!
And with all the products floating around (some good, some bad), it’s important to understand what you’re getting yourself into before you choose the fat loss supplement that’s right for you.
So today’s lesson: Fat Loss Supplements 101. Let’s take a look at some of the most popular fat loss supplements on the market so that you can make a more informed decision.
While there are a lot of products and brands, the same ingredients are typically used because of their effective fat burning properties.
Types of Fat Loss Supplements
1. Thermogenics – These supplements are the most popular ‘fat burning’ supplements. They work by getting the more stubborn fat deposits in your body to metabolize during exercise and physical activity. It’s a process that occurs at the cellular level, responding to an increased internal body temperature that leads to more fat and calories burned.
Caffeine and yohimbine (a natural-occurring chemical) are common thermogenic ingredients. Check out SlimQuick Extreme Fat Burner, a great product designed for women trying to lose weight. It contains time-released yohimbine which may speed up your metabolism.
2. Fat Blockers – These types of fat loss supplements contain a chemical called chitosan, a fat absorber that can trap fat before it’s fully digested by your body and expel it through your colon. Although these sound great in theory, the science has been pretty inconsistent, and there’s little to support claims of significant fat loss. You’ll burn a few extra calories, but experts suggest you may also prevent the absorption of important vitamins and minerals.
3. Appetite Suppressants – Appetite suppressants do exactly what they claim: reduce your appetite to that you eat less and, as a result, lose weight. Although the science is still out on some ingredients and their long term effects, products with the ingredient Hoodia have been getting a lot of attention lately. Many people swear by the product.
But it’s important to remember that there are many foods which are natural thermogenics and appetite suppressants. Green tea extract, for example, is a natural and highly effective method for boosting your boosting your metabolism (the thermogenic part) and curbing cravings (the appetite suppressing part). It’s also full of healthy antioxidants to support a healthy lifestyle. Two great options are NOW Green Tea Extract and Irwin Naturals Green Tea Fat Metabolizer.
Other types of fat loss supplements include carbohydrate blockers (similar to fat blockers), cortisol blockers, and thyroid regulators. When it comes to training and bodybuilding, the most popular options often contain thermogenics and a combination of other ingredients with different purposes. Here are the products I would recommend:
- Muscle Pharm Shred Matrix – This is a great product for increasing energy and metabolism and controlling your cravings.
- Cellucor T7 Extreme – This product is getting a lot of attention for being stimulant-free. It contains all-natural thermogenic and appetite suppressing ingredients.
- Magnum Nutraceuticals CLA – Another popular product on the market, this fat burning supplement also supports lean muscle growth. It’s primary ingredient is linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid. It’s been shown to speed up metabolism and help you burn excess fat and calories.
Fat Loss Supplements – Conclusion
There you have it, a quick primer on fat loss supplements. Although education is key, when it comes down to it, you may have to do a little experimenting to find the product that’s right for you.
Have any questions or feedback about Fat Loss Supplements? Please leave a comment below…