Exercises for a Strong Chiseled Core
Looking for new exercises to get a strong, chiseled core? Look no further. I have 5 new core exercises to rev up your routine.
All of these exercises require one of the most basic but essential pieces of gym equipment, the medicine ball. If you’re not already using medicine balls in your ab routine, you should be especially to add some flavour to your workouts. They offer a versatile form of resistance to challenge and refine your core muscles.
If you’re looking for a good set of medicine balls for your home gym, check out this Dual Grip Medicine Ball. With convenient detachable handles, you get two sets of equipment in one. Personally, I like to have enough equipment at home to work on my core whenever I can.
5 New Exercises for a Strong and Chiseled Core
As I mentioned, each of these exercises uses a medicine ball for maximum resistance. Try incorporating these exercises into your current abdominal routine, or perform 2-3 sets of each back-to-back for a powerful core workout.
1. Power Woodchopper – For this first core exercise, start in standing position with your feet at shoulder width. Hold the medicine ball with both hands. Twist at your core, and lift the medicine ball overhead and to your right, keeping your feet stationary. Then immediately bring the ball down to the left, crossing your body and lowering it to the outer side of your left foot. As you do so, bring your right knee as close to the floor as you can. That’s 1 rep. Perform 10-12 reps on each side.
2. Side Scoop – For this one, you’re going to start in a wide stance (about a foot wider than hip-width). Hold the medicine ball with both hands in front of your torso. Bring the medicine ball up overhead in front of you, and as you lower it, bring it to one side as you continue looking ahead. As you bring the ball to one side, you’re going to bend that knee slightly as you lower to the ground. Bring the ball back up overhead, and bring it down to the opposite side. That’s 1 rep. Perform 12-15 reps in total.
3. Split Balance Pushup – Get into a normal pushup stance, engaging your core as your straighten your body. Balance your right palm on a medicine ball and the other on the floor. Push up, and as you do, lift your left foot off the floor and towards the ceiling, squeezing your buttocks and engaging your core. Hold for 1 count, return to starting, and repeat. Perform 8-10 reps per side.
4. Lunge Pass Under – Stand with your ankles touching and hold a medicine ball with both hands. In one swift movement, lower into a lunge by bringing your right leg back and low to the ground. As you do, bring the medicine ball to the ground and pass it under your front (left) leg from one hand to the other. Then lift out of the lunge, bring the medicine ball to starting position, and repeat with opposite leg. Perform 10-12 reps.
5. Russian Twist – Sit on a mat with your ankles together and grip a medicine ball with both hands, holding it over your abdomen. Lift your legs off the floor and bend your knees at a 90 degree angle, balancing on your buttocks. Your back should be leaning back slightly. Twist your core to the right as you bring the ball to the right side, hold your arms with a slight bend in the elbows. Return to starting and twist to the opposite side. That’s 1 rep. Perform 12-15 reps in total.
Looking for more great abdominal exercises to get a strong, chiseled core? Try my Total Ab Workout in 30 Minutes.
Have any questions or feedback about these Exercises for a Strong Chiseled Core? Please leave a comment below…